re-wire phones
Nov 13, 2001 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KShaft

100+ Head-Fier
okay, ive got a 1/4" gold plated jack, some silver bearing solder, and some radio shack 24 awg audio wire (microphone).
now who will help shaft rewire his beyer 990s???
help!
why is there three wires for each channel?
should i get a better microphone cable or is it suffecient?
please someone who knows what the hell he is doing help!
thanks,
oh, ive already decided to buy different microphone cable. but i dont have any idea on how to wire it...,
if it has two conductors do i use one for each channel or two full wires? and where does the ground go??
the jack is the same on the clou cable one so it is damn good. no worries there!
please help me......................................!:confused :
k.s.

Nov 14, 2001 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 6
i saw that and that is what is inspiring me.
however coma it does not go in to detail enough. i need specifics.
like why is there two conductors and two places to solder it on to on the transducer.
what do i do with the ground wire? where should it go? why is it there?
how do i know which post is which on the jack (left, right , ground)?
id like to email Jan but I dont want to just bother him selfishly to just get advice and then give nothing in return. thats the purpose of the forum to exchange info(duh).
i thought it be best to put this here because its both a tweak and it has to do with cable. ill check out some of the other DIY topics.
ks

Nov 14, 2001 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 6
I'd still ask a moderator to move your question to the DIY forum on this site because that is a) the most correct place to put this and b) the people there can help you more. That's where all the people with an affection for the scent of solder lurk
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Hmm... three wires per each channel? I suspect they are in a simple braid and two wires are ground, one is the signal. Both channels share the same ground... however, of course, different signals.

What I'd do is use (seriously) Cat5 networking cable (teflon insulated stuff from belden of course, radioshack online has some). The cat 5 is a 4 pair twisted cable; you open up the cable and find 4 pairs of cables (8 total wires). You take the twisted pairs (keep them twisted though) and make cables out of them; I would take three twisted pairs and braid them together, and do that again for the other channel. There, you have created two fat wires, one for each channel. For each cable, one pair is the signal carrying one, and two are for the ground. Wire that sucker up and watch it work... Add some sort of sheath to make it look nice too...

Then you can get fancy and do triple braids... do a 3 pair twisted pair braid, do it again two more times, braid the three braided twisted pairs, and do everything again for the other channel (are you following me still?
wink.gif
)... good luck!

Nov 14, 2001 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 6
i think i have a roll of the same rat shack mic cable. it's 2 conductors + shield. the shield is usually grounded at one end. but you don't need the shield for headphones, so you can do what ever you want with the extra conductor.

on the driver there are 2 points to connect the wire. one point is for the the signal and the other point is for ground. so you need 2 conductors per channel (4 total). the plug has 3 conductors. the ground of both channels are connected to each other at the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back