re-using an old Aiwa speaker system
Jun 13, 2014 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

badben25

New Head-Fier
So we had a renovation done at home and I came across a speaker system by Aiwa. My dad bought this years ago and it hasn't been used in quite a while, so I'd like to know if I could hook it up to my desktop and what would I require. I've uploaded some pics in an imgur gallery here:

http://imgur.com/a/yRTC2

The set has 2 speakers along with a central unit (is it called a deck/receiver?) and I've added pics of the cables and connectors that the speakers use, along with the connectors behind the central unit. Would I be able to use the speakers with my desktop using a converter or some device? Or will I have to do so using the central unit? There does seem to be AUX capability, so I could theoretically use a cable with a 3.5mm jack on one end connected to my sound card and RCA connections on the other end going into the unit.

Any and all help is appreciated
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 7
oh i remember that, my cousin had one like that.

so yes you can use it, assuming it still all works.  go on ebay and search 3.5mm to phono.  cables will come up, buy one youll pay a couple £ or a few $ they are not expensive cables.  then as you have guessed the 3.5mm side goes into the speaker out on your computer, the phono to the aux in pair on the right and there you go.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 7
cool, i actually have one of those cables at home, will try it out.

though i would personally prefer being able to use the speakers directly without the massive unit as it'll help with space and hassle. i just don't know how that could be done with speakers that use such connections.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 7
if you want to skip the amp unit then you need to buy an alternative amp.

again ebay is your friend.any little "T-amp" will do.  Lepai or Muse do a bunch of them of differing power ratings.  £20 should get you something that would do. just check that you order one with a power adapter as many dont come with them.  the amps will be tiny in comparison to that aiwa unit and so long as you dont want to try and shake the walls down it should go easily as loud as you want.

the new little amp will have on the back a phone in and speaker out, prob clip speaker connections where you just strip a little bit of wire and plug it in and the spring loaded clep holds it in place.  just like on the aiwa unit

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 7
Oh man, I posted something very similar recently with a slightly newer version of the same system.

I found that I had never removed them from the walls in my old bedroom at my parents house. I didn't have the central unit anymore (somehow lost in the past 15 years or so).

I got one of those cheap $20 lepai 40w amps and connected it to an airport express to get music playing in my bedroom. Its far from audiophile quality but far superior to silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back