Re-Tip or Upgrade?
Jan 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

juniperlater

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Grado Reference Platinum that the stylus is getting kind of old. Should I do a soundsmith retip, send it back to Grado to retip or upgrade?

If you say upgrade, to what cartridge? It must be MM or MI.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard of the Grado Trade-up program? I think it might not exist anymore.

if you like the grado, you will not like the blue point.

grado still has a trade-in program. you buy a new one for a discount when you send yours back.

if you want to change to a slightly different sound, look at the wood body clearaudio moving magnets like the aurum beta s and the virtuoso wood. they are a similar sound, but more detailed and dynamic, a little less clored, and are sielded, so will not intriduce any hum issues into your phono syste.

i work for a retailer who sells all of the above and have no vested interest in your buying one vs. the other. i do have lots of experience with lp setups though.

hope that helps

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Wouldn't have thought you'd like Clearaudio if you like Grado as they have a fairly idiosyncratic sound. As far as MI upgrades are concerned check out The Soundsmith or at the budget end hunt down an old Pickering X-15 or Stanton 681EEE from ebay for that classic '70s American sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back