RE: Refurbished Sony MDR-V6 $39.99
Oct 16, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #76 of 87
HI: The V6 have been burning in for 32 hours so far and they sound much better already. I am playing them loud fore the burn in and think after about 100 hours they will be OK and very usable. Now I have the CD780 ordered and if they are alot better the V6 can be used fore portable use.

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #77 of 87
I compared them to my 7506 (burnt in for a couple months now) and the bass is not developed yet (or kinda boomy). It does not sound shrill yet, but maybe because I am already used to the 7506's sound. I just remember that once the bass cleared up, the brightness came through but I guess that won't be a problem for me.

Also, physically, the two are identical except the V6's cord is slightly (barely) thinner and the coil (width) is also slightly smaller than the cord on the 7506's. It's such a small difference that you really have to hold them up close and look for it to see it. The plug on the V6 is completely copper (?) and silver in color up to where the cord joins it while that part is black on the 7506's except for the gold plug.

The 7506's cost me over $100 with shipping so this purchase compensated for that high price nicely (works out to about $70 per set). Both are in great condition, but I may give one away as a present. Thank you Head-Fi, for I owe both purchasing impulses to this board.

Edit: Actually, the burn in process is almost done after just about 3 hours. So I guess they were burnt-in pretty well previously.

Oct 16, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #78 of 87
Mine arrived yesterday. I won't be able to pick them up from back home until tomorrow, unfortunately.

Oct 16, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #80 of 87
Csidinim - The differences of the cord, etc., can be attributed to normal manufacturing discrepancies(source part from different sources, etc.). My refurbed v-6 compared to my prior v-6, had a slightly differetn cord, as well as the screws were a different color(black as opposed to silver), the pads were a little different texture, as well the lettering on the two was slightly different.

-Chris

Oct 20, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #83 of 87
they dont leak very much sound, which is good since i have roommates...but they do let in some of the outside sound, which is bad because i have roommates
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #84 of 87
Believe it or not, I returned my HD-280's for the V6. The V6 is lighter and more portable, not to mention cheaper. The HD-280 had better isolation, and sounded a bit better. My wallet triumphed over my ears, this time. My ears are still on the attack, though; they want a better PCDP.
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #87 of 87
Mine are sounding even better with something like 40 hours burn-in. The frequency response has really smoothed out. I don't think this change is due to me becoming used to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back