Re: Posting Requirements for the Gear For Sale/Trade Forums
May 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

I may have missed Kirosia making this point, in which I apologize. I did think about this point, but I'm not sure I agree with your distinction, since I doubt any one review or post, or even the entire corpus of the most contributingest member actually benefits every member of the community. Similarly, if altering the requirements of the trade forum were hypothetically to result in an influx of non-scammer sellers to the trade forum who then sold stuff to members of the community, then I think that might construe a benefit to the community. I think it comes down to where we draw the distinction between individuals and the community as a whole.

I think this paragraph epitomizes why you have been castigated here today. Nobody said that to benefit the community, something has to benefit everybody. That would be absurd, because it is virtually impossible for every member of HF to read any one review. I think you would agree that the 50 post rule benefits the community in ways that are orders of magnitude better than the potential trade-off of having an influx of non-scammer sellers. After all, there is a reason why the rule was implemented, ya? And the line is drawn where there is the potential for more members of the community than those who were participants in a deal to benefit. That's my take.

May 25, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #47 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are we stopping by preschool again? I'm in.

Don't forget to invite Patrick82! :hellokittysmile:
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this paragraph epitomizes why you have been castigated here today. Nobody said that to benefit the community, something has to benefit everybody. That would be absurd, because it is virtually impossible for every member of HF to read any one review. I think you would agree that the 50 post rule benefits the community in ways that are orders of magnitude better than the potential trade-off of having an influx of non-scammer sellers. After all, there is a reason why the rule was implemented, ya? And the line is drawn where there is the potential for more members of the community than those who were participants in a deal to benefit. That's my take.

If you're saying that I'm being castigated for considering bizarre hypothetical situations, then I'll plead guilty. And yes, the current rule is better than having a bunch more sellers.

I was just wondering if one sale doesn't benefit the community because it just benefits one person, but a review does since it benefits hundreds or thousands of people, where the line is drawn - I personally don't feel like any such line would make sense, so I'm inclined to think that one sale does benefit the community, but then we get into trouble because we'd have to figure out why you winning the lottery doesn't benefit the community (assuming you don't spend any of it on the rest of the community).

May 25, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #51 of 79
Quote:

he's been camping out there from 5am.

Was he the guy those hobos urinated on? Poor fella smelled like corona.

May 25, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #53 of 79
I don't see why the 50 post rule is such a big deal. You can make 50 posts in a handful of discussion threads over a few days. I've been an active member on these forums for only about three months and I have 700-something posts. Maybe I'm just a chatterbox, but still.

The "wait a month before you can use FS forums" really did bother me cuz I wasn't able to snag that Gilmore Lite that sold for $180. =(

May 25, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #54 of 79
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I was being urinated on. My spidey sense would've kicked in.

May 25, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #55 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I was being urinated on. My spidey sense would've kicked in.

I meant to say that hobo was you.
I believe the victim was the preschool teacher though.

May 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #56 of 79
Oh, no biggie. We were just getting our R. Kelly on!

Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love
I don't even want, none of the above

May 25, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #58 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by pubbawup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're saying that I'm being castigated for considering bizarre hypothetical situations, then I'll plead guilty. And yes, the current rule is better than having a bunch more sellers.

I was just wondering if one sale doesn't benefit the community because it just benefits one person, but a review does since it benefits hundreds or thousands of people, where the line is drawn - I personally don't feel like any such line would make sense, so I'm inclined to think that one sale does benefit the community, but then we get into trouble because we'd have to figure out why you winning the lottery doesn't benefit the community (assuming you don't spend any of it on the rest of the community).

Yes, bizarre hypothetical situation do get you castigated here, except when they involve stuffed animals and grown men.

And yes, from a philosophical point of view, where should we draw the line? Here's a scenario that is common on this site: a member decides to have a random number generation raffle for a prize. Does this benefit the community? I would say, emphatically, yes, because it invites the participation of, and inevitably involves, numerous members of the community. Now, consider the following: when a private transaction is made between a buyer and a seller, the price often not being revealed, does this benefit the "community." No, because the terms of the deal are often kept completely private. The only benefit to the community that could possibly be derived from a private deal is knowing what the sale price was, because that aids in setting a market value of an item. But it is truly rare that the actual sale price is revealed, so this really benefits nobody. As is frequently reiterated by members here, the price is between the seller and the buyer only. Doesn't sound communal to me.

May 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #59 of 79
Quote:

ahh.. it's all so clear now.

Clear as the video feed of Kirosia's deviant acts on underage stuffed animals that was posted on youtube.

May 26, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, bizarre hypothetical situation do get you castigated here, except when they involve stuffed animals and grown men.

Heh - fair enough.

Quote:

And yes, from a philosophical point of view, where should we draw the line?
Now, consider the following: when a private transaction is made between a buyer and a seller, the price often not being revealed, does this benefit the "community." No, because the terms of the deal are often kept completely private. The only benefit to the community that could possibly be derived from a private deal is knowing what the sale price was, because that aids in setting a market value of an item. But it is truly rare that the actual sale price is revealed, so this really benefits nobody. As is frequently reiterated by members here, the price is between the seller and the buyer only. Doesn't sound communal to me.

For the first point, the reason I'm inclined to think that one sale (with prices not revealed) does benefit the community, is because I think the sum total of all purchase/sales on the trade forums does benefit the community. But I guess there's nothing all that inconsistent about thinking that the collection of all sales benefits the community without any particular sale doing so.

As for the secrecy concerning prices, I've always wondered why that was the case - I don't see how the parties involved in the transaction lose anything by revealing the transaction price, and as you say, it would provide the community with useful information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back