Re: Posting Requirements for the Gear For Sale/Trade Forums
May 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're coming off a bit cocky. You buy an item because you want it, not because you're trying to "benefit the community".

Just post, it really isn't that hard. You'll probably get halfway there in this thread alone.

I already agreed to do that, and am in the process of doing so. I'm just responding to a question about the effect of my actions on the community. And I definitely made no claims about why I made those purchases.

While I'm sure some posts are made with the specific intention of benefitting the community, I would guess that most are made because someone wanted to write that post. Something doesn't have to be done out of pure, unadulterated altruism in order to benefit the community.

May 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by pubbawup
I'm just responding to a question about the effect of my actions on the community. And I definitely made no claims about why I made those purchases.

Quote:

That's true, except that my buying things from people definitely benefits the community.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
How does your buying an item for yourself (presumably) benefit the community?

Quote:

Uh, because as a result some member of the community who preferred to have some quantity of money over some piece of equipment they owned was able to exchange that piece of equipment for that quantity of money.

Seriously? You may've not been claiming it directly, but the fact you started this thread and used that as an excuse is good enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pubbawup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'm sure some posts are made with the specific intention of benefitting the community, I would guess that most are made because someone wanted to write that post. Something doesn't have to be done out of pure, unadulterated altruism in order to benefit the community.

???

I never said anyone posted to "benefit the community". I've never purchased/sold something to help anyone other "me". Not that hard to admit, see?

Quote:

nowai. what's for breakfast Kirosia?

I don't make stupid posts for any particular reason, other than to arouse myself sexually.

May 25, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 79
Quote:

Seriously? You may've not been claiming it directly, but the fact you started this thread and used that as an excuse is good enough.

No one here said they posted to "benefit the community". I've never purchased/sold something to help anyone other "me". Not that hard to admit, see?

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say, and I don't think you're following me. I never said that I bought things from people in order to benefit the community - I merely asserted that my doing so has the consequence of benefiting the community. Why is that the case? Because it benefits the sellers, who are members of the community.

Similarly, people don't usually post in order to benefit the community, but many posts do have that additional effect.

Whether something is done with the intention of benefiting the community or has the effect of benefiting the community are completely independent questions - although usually actions in the former category will be in the latter as well - a distinction of which you and pfkman23 do not seem to be aware.

However, as terrymx said, the rules apparently exist in order to deter scammers, and not in order to limit the trade forums to an exclusive group of people who benefit the community, so this isn't really germane to the original topic.

May 25, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 79
Quote:

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say, and I don't think you're following me. I never said that I bought things from people in order to benefit the community - I merely asserted that my doing so has the consequence of benefiting the community. Why is that the case? Because it benefits the sellers, who are members of the community

Ah, the "you makey no sense" excuse. I wonder if you're the only one? Alright, I'll say it even more clearly:

You wanted to circumvent the FS requirements, so you pulled out this "benefit the community as a side-effect" crap. I don't blame you for wanting to use the FS/FT forums, but don't BS. You want to sell something, you want to buy something. That's it. You feel the need to backpedal, go off-topic (post blah blah), be my guest. But just be honest.

You got 41 more to go. Start a thread about Jessica Alba or some crap, we'll probably join you. But realize that people (the smart ones at least) are gonna look at both your feedback and post history before dealing with you, or anyone else for that matter.

May 25, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

Ah, the "you makey no sense" excuse. I wonder if you're the only one? Alright, I'll say it even more clearly:

You wanted to circumvent the FS requirements, so you pulled out this "benefit the community as a side-effect" crap. I don't blame you for wanting to use the FS/FT forums, but don't BS. You want to sell something, you want to buy something. That's it. You feel the need to backpedal, go off-topic (post blah blah), be my guest. But just be honest.

You got 41 more to go. Start a thread about Jessica Alba or some crap, we'll probably join you. but realize that people (the smart ones at least) are gonna look at both your feedback and post history before dealing with you, or anyone else for that matter.

Dude, you have got to be kidding me. I've already agreed to post until I'm above the count:

Quote:

Originally Posted by QFT
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
50 posts is nothing. Just screw around in the Members' Lounge for a few days and you'll easily hit that mark.

Yeah, in retrospect that's true. And this thread should be a good start.

After that happened, pfkman23 asked why my buying something for myself benefits the community, so I responded with an answer. Then you made the same point because you didn't appreciate the distinction that I just expounded on in my last post (and which you still ignore).

Your allegations of dishonesty are unfounded and frankly quite offensive. I'm going to say this for at least the third time: I've never said that I made purchases on the trade forum in order to benefit the community, merely that these purchases had the effect of benefiting the community. Are you not actually reading my posts?

May 25, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 79
Quote:

Your allegations of dishonesty are unfounded and frankly quite offensive. I'm going to say this for at least the third time: I've never said that I made purchases on the trade forum in order to benefit the community, merely that these purchases had the effect of benefiting the community. Are you not actually reading my posts?

Definitely, but it seems you're ignoring mine:
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master
Then you made the same point because you didn't appreciate the distinction that I just expounded on in my last post (and which you still ignore).

ya rly?:
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doctor
You may've not been claiming it directly, but the fact you started this thread and used that as an excuse is good enough.

Quote:

Dude, you are so like, not listening to me. You're making me angry, and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry! I've got enough pretzel power to pull out a full on assault!! And I won't do it to benefit anyone, but because I'm an selfish egomaniacal prick. (Seriously, I am)

May 25, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 79
Quote:

Definitely, but it seems you're ignoring mine:

Dude, you are so like, not listening to me. You're making angry, and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry! I've got enough pretzel power to pull out a full on assault!! And I won't do it to benefit anyone, but because I'm an selfish egomaniacal prick. (Seriously, I am)

Okay, then how can you claim that I'm making "excuses" when I've already agreed to/resigned myself to making 50 posts? What could I be trying to accomplish? What exactly do you think I'm trying to excuse myself for? Someone asked why an action performed for one purpose can have an additional, totally different consequence, I responded to them, and then you just went nuts.

May 25, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #24 of 79
Quote:

Okay, then how can you claim that I'm making "excuses" when I've already agreed to/resigned myself to making 50 posts? What could I be trying to accomplish? What exactly do you think I'm trying to excuse myself for? Someone asked why an action performed for one purpose can have an additional, totally different consequence, I responded to them, and then you just went nuts.

Went nuts? Resigned yourself? Trying to accomplish?

You've been backpedaling (as well as argue semantics) the past few posts. You're still doing it, even though I gave you numerous opportunities to stop and admit your started this thread for your own gain. (Which I don't necessarily condemn) Remember this?:

Quote:

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say, and I don't think you're following me.

Quote:

Quote:

Then you made the same point because you didn't appreciate the distinction that I just expounded on in my last post (and which you still ignore).

Quote:

Quote:

you just went nuts

Helping the community may technically be a reason to allow people to use the the FS forum, but in the end it's for their own personal benefit. It's implied, and a poor excuse to change the requirements. Its like "The mods should let me sell drugs to members, because it'll increase forum traffic and bring joy to people! Me making money off the poor SOBs really has nothing to do with it. I'm being mostly altruistic."

May 25, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #25 of 79
you're a 1/5 of the way there and just in one short day and you still have yet to contribute anything to the site.

see how easy it is.

May 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #26 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're a 1/5 of the way there and just in one short day and you still have yet to contribute anything to the site.

see how easy it is.

And I'm 180 posts away from accessing the elusive "Naked Girl-fi" forum. Ohhh yeah.

May 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #27 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Even as a long time lurker you are not benefiting the community in anyway."

The purpose of the 50post rule is more for preventing scam, not for enclosing this forum to some kind of private based subscription.

We should ban all non-members from reading this forum.

We should also ban all new members from signing up
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #28 of 79
Quote:

Went nuts? Resigned yourself? Trying to accomplish?

You've been trying to backpedaling (as well as argue semantics) the past few posts. You're still doing it, even though I gave you numerous opportunities to stop and admit your started this thread for your own gain. (Which I don't necessarily condemn) Remember this?:

Please, just give up already. You're only things worse.

I've been arguing semantics because this has already been a discussion largely about semantics: someone was confused about how I could be benefiting the community while doing something for myself, and I answered.

Of course I formed this thread for my own self-interest: I want to sell an amp but I can't post in the trade forums. At the same time, I don't think I really ever had a strong expectation of being able to get some kind of free pass, so a lot of my motivation has been curiosity about the reason for the rule, which was made clear to me pretty quickly.

Are you arguing that I claimed that I made this thread for some reason other than my personal gain/amusement? Because I don't remember making any claims about my reasons for making this thread (or even my reasons for buying things off the trade forums).

Or are you saying that I'm still trying to get out of making 50 posts? Because by my third post in this thread I had accepted that I'd have to get my post count up before making listings in the trade forum.

I'm really not trying to pull what you call the "you makey no sense" excuse - especially now, I just don't really see what you're trying to make me "admit".

May 25, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #29 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

see how easy it is.

Yup.

Quote:

Yeah, in retrospect that's true. And this thread should be a good start.

May 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #30 of 79
Quote:

I've been arguing semantics because this has already been a discussion largely about semantics: someone was confused about how I could be benefiting the community while doing something for myself, and I answered.

For whatever it's worth, I thought that your explanation and the distinction that you drew made perfect sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back