RE-Post from HeadRoom Announcements - FYI
Jul 10, 2002 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Old Pa

Headphoneus Supremus
THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

and all I get is the friggin' bar bill . . . . .

BUT SERIOUSLY . . .

Glad to hear you got back, Tyll and thanks so much for sending by FedEX overnight my FREE 20 foot Cardas cable for my Senn 600s for my winning HeadFi thread "Best Account of a HeadRoom Tour Stop". Those Cardas cables are really amazing; didn't seem to even need any burn-in period. I'm already enjoying the higher highs, the lower lows, and the airier ariaes. The "Champagne Music Makers" have never sounded so good! I can't wait to hear my new audiophile 180 gram LP recording of the "Polka Mass"!

Glad you liked my story and the way I stayed away from anal-retentive personal observations favoring non-HeadRoom equipment. BLOCKHEAD RULES! Do you think that maybe the other contestants did not know the way this secret contest was going to be judged? Well, their loss . . .

HAPPY LISTENING!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 5
I love that track that has the words to 'Ave Maria' and the music from 'Beer Barrel Polka'. And that 'To The Left, To The Right Funeral March' polka is amazing and fun to dance to.

I tell ya, all these churches that do 'Country/Western Services' to attract the younger crowd should consider hiring this band for the next bingo night.

The town I live in has a lot of churches but fortunately they are outnumbered by bars. Sometimes they land right across the street from each other. THAT'S urban planning.

ok,
erix

Jul 11, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 5
There is no "Ave Maria" to the "Beer Barrel Polka", you faithless heathen (beer barrels are holy enough all by themselves).

"Father Frank Perkovich Presents Songs & Hymns from the Polka Mass with Joe Cvek and the Variables Orchestra" S80-665-Stereo. It was a private pressing, copies may (or may not) still be available from Polka Mass, P.O. Box 586, Eveleth, MN 55734. Joe Cvek, BTW, is also featured on the Cordi-Organ. The sound quality is typical of a good remote recording of the period (or, since it is an LP, sounds are "perfect" for you "Dogs of Vinyl")

If you want the spirit, re-watch the wedding scenes early in "The Deer Hunter". Polka Masses were a phenomena of the early 70s and have left the religious and musicological scene as our nation has become culturally bereft and fallen further into Satan's grip. It's all very sad. . . .

You forgot to mention, Erix, that you live at present in an old Mississippi River town and that you came there from Las Vegas (A/K/A "Lost Wages"). These facts alone supply considerable cultural perspective to your comments.

Of course there are more bars than churches in Winona, but the fact that they are interspersed downtown goes back to the subtle psychology of the late 19th century. Late any given Saturday night, an inebriant could become a celebrant by just stumbling through the right door. The frequency of these occurrences led to Prohibition . . . . .

Jul 11, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Of course there are more bars than churches in Winona, but the fact that they are interspersed downtown goes back to the subtle psychology of the late 19th century. Late any given Saturday night, an inebriant could become a celebrant by just stumbling through the right door. The frequency of these occurrences led to Prohibition . . . . .

Funny thing about Prohibition and Winona, local officials here were not too keen on enforcing it.

Attempts at financial strong-arming the local government didn't seem to do the trick.. In fact, it took federal agents in surprise pre-dawn raids all throughout the town one morning to finally get the booze out.

Not surprising considering Winona was considered one of the best, uh, *recreational* stops along the river by worldly boatmen of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Houses of ill repute were still in operation until the early fifties...

Now, in Las Vegas, where I grew up and lived for my first 35 years, I only met one alcoholic. Here I know very many. Most go to a church of some sort or another.

ok,
erix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back