re: newbie to head fi
Dec 1, 2007 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jaduffy007

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all...

As of now, I'm planning on getting the "Serious Audiophile" rig from Headroom. The maxed out desktop amp and DAC with AKG K701s (Equinox re-cable). I will be using a Macbook Pro's optical out as my source. AIFF CD rips.

While I can completely appreciate what the most expensive gear has to offer, I would like to hit HR's "sweetspot" if it exists. By "sweetspot" I mean where you start to hit the diminishing return curve pretty hard.

So...I would really love to hear some opinions on the maxed Desktop package versus the Micro stack w/DAC. The Micro Stack package is half the price. I don't expect the Desktop system to be twice as good, but in my case, I don't want to pay twice as much for a 15% improvement either.

I know it's very subjective, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 26
Hi jaduffy007,

From your first serious shopping stop and purchase choices it sounds as if you know what you like and are willing to pay for it.

If this is really your first purchase in headphone amplification I don't think you can go wrong with your first choice Micro Stack. You will get many hours of pure joy breaking in your '701s and in the meantime prepare yourself to subjectively judge the equipment that follows on. When you are ready to move on you will be able to easily sell your first purchases and will be better prepared for your next purchases.

I think you already know that "twice the money" from this point on the scale is never going to get you twice the sound, ever again. Pick a place to start and get on the wagon and enjoy the ride.

jg125

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 26
The sweetspot in Headroom's line, imo, unless you have some serious bucks is the balanced desktop amp/dac. I didn't even hear the maxed version, but I found it superior to the maxed home single-ended. I stopped comparing after a few minutes. It was the first time I enjoyed, rather than appreciated, the K701s, so I sat back, hogged the gear (it was at a meet), and just enjoyed.

I haven't heard the new microstack, but I had the 2006 microamp and it's the only thing I've sold that I've regretted. I've not heard a negative word about the microdac at its price point, and that's saying something around here.

If you want to get your feet wet in this hobby, while you gain experience, maybe going to some meets to learn the differences in gear and what pleases you (my tastes have evolved over time), the microstack is a really nice entry. If you're the type that just wants to get one thing that you know will make you happy for years (of course adding a headphone or two along the way
redface.gif
), I'd check into the balanced desktop, though I gotta agree that a single-ended maxed desktop wouldn't be too shabby at all.

Welcome to head-fi and happy listening.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 26
I had a micro stack a while back. I used it in the office in my house, mostly with HD-650s. It's a great transportable set up that I think is worthy of a home set and one you can take on the road (not necessarily for portable use) when traveling. Good sound, lots of features, high quality and a great company standing behind it. You can't really go wrong.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jg125 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi jaduffy007,

From your first serious shopping stop and purchase choices it sounds as if you know what you like and are willing to pay for it.

If this is really your first purchase in headphone amplification I don't think you can go wrong with your first choice Micro Stack. You will get many hours of pure joy breaking in your '701s and in the meantime prepare yourself to subjectively judge the equipment that follows on. When you are ready to move on you will be able to easily sell your first purchases and will be better prepared for your next purchases.

I think you already know that "twice the money" from this point on the scale is never going to get you twice the sound, ever again. Pick a place to start and get on the wagon and enjoy the ride.

jg125

I disagree. Getting the maxed out option will put his upgraditus in check..

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaduffy007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all...

As of now, I'm planning on getting the "Serious Audiophile" rig from Headroom. The maxed out desktop amp and DAC with AKG K701s (Equinox re-cable). I will be using a Macbook Pro's optical out as my source. AIFF CD rips.

While I can completely appreciate what the most expensive gear has to offer, I would like to hit HR's "sweetspot" if it exists. By "sweetspot" I mean where you start to hit the diminishing return curve pretty hard.

So...I would really love to hear some opinions on the maxed Desktop package versus the Micro stack w/DAC. The Micro Stack package is half the price. I don't expect the Desktop system to be twice as good, but in my case, I don't want to pay twice as much for a 15% improvement either.

I know it's very subjective, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It won't be twice as good.. But the maxxed out desktop is very close to the Home amp.. From owners who tried, or had both, feel theres a noticeable improvement. But with your logic why buy the 701's since they aren't twice as good as the 501's. My 650's aren't 6 times better then my 212 pro's.. But easily worth the extra dough..

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 26
so are you considering the Ultra MicroAmp and DAC as well at $1400?

or just the MicroAmp and DAC at $800 and then the fully pimped out Desktop Amp w/ DPS at $1950?

maybe it's just me but in time I myself would have to get the DPS after getting either the MicroStack or the Ultra MicroStack. tacking another $400 to the price tag just like the fully pimped out Desktop Amp has to have. making their cost at $1200 and $1800. not necessary but I see the DPS as a good upgrade to the new Micro line.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

I have to say that we worked pretty hard so that there was no sweet spot, and I think we've done pretty well on that front. If there is a sweet spot, it probably has more to do with your tastes and needs than the hardware itself.

However, in pure audiophile terms, I think the Ultra Micro Stack performance is pretty outstanding for the price. The only reason to go with an Ultra Desktop as an alternative is: A) that you need/want the high quality connections; B) the money is not a problem; C) you want to buy into the Desktop line for the Desktop Audiophile System in the future.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 26
Sorry to add even more confusion but you should think about the 2007 HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp at $999. I recently had a chance to hear it at the November Seattle meet, and it sounded fantastic (CDP as transport, HD600 headphone). I've owned the $600 '06 MicroStack, and this is much much better.

Price-wise, it sits in between the current 2007 MicroStack and 2007 Ultra MicroStack. Sweet spot?
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 26
Thanks to Tyll and everyone.

As a recovering audiophile, I would like to avoid turning this into a hobby (again). That said, I'm thinking the Balanced Desktop with K701 (balanced equinox).

Tyll...I love the Desktop Audiophile System concept. If the Balanced Desktop had some line level outputs..DONE!...but no such luck...so I'm hesitating a bit. Any work around???

Sound signature I like...
I use to own Dunleavy SC4 speakers with B.A.T electronics. If you're familiar with that sound, maybe that info will help.

thanks again everyone

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Tyll...I love the Desktop Audiophile System concept. If the Balanced Desktop had some line level outputs..DONE!...but no such luck...so I'm hesitating a bit. Any work around???

something I myself would like to see!

I would rather have outputs than inputs since more than likely if I had one a PC would be it's source.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would rather have outputs than inputs since more than likely if I had one a PC would be it's source.

Hey, I have an idea ..... scurries away to talk to Joe.

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*** Exactly my situation. Even in high end systems, CDPs as sources are on the way out imho. My high end speaker system buddies are selling their $10K Transport/DAC combos for SS's Transporter (with a tube mod of course
smily_headphones1.gif
. The writing is on the wall, it seems to me.

Digital inputs with analog outputs...pretty please.

Poor Tyll...can't please everyone!

Tyll...Using a Macbook Pro's optical out as a source, would you rather hear the K701 through the Balanced Desktop or the maxed SE Desktop???? You promote balanced rigs over SE rigs pretty heavily on your site, so don't you want the Balanced Desktop as an option with your new Desktop Audiophile System???

thanks...

noseallinit: Asheville! I went to high school in Hendersonville. I hear Asheville is awesome now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back