Re-foaming HD650s
Feb 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Bizzel

1000+ Head-Fier
Quick question: how easy is it to reverse the de-foaming mod (just the inside foam, not the foam under the grilles)?

If it's fully reversible I'll give this a shot later on.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question: how easy is it to reverse the de-foaming mod (just the inside foam, not the foam under the grilles)?

If it's fully reversible I'll give this a shot later on.
biggrin.gif

Its a 2 minute process... just remove the pads, reinsert the foam, and replace the pads.

I guess mine don't have foam under the grills... that I'm aware of, anyway. So... can't advise you there. Though, the pics elsewhere on this forum indicate the grills are also easy to remove and replace.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Thanks. When I said the foam under the grilles, I meant this... but I'm not going to mess with that part anyway.

Oh... OK... yeah... I have that... never removed it. Looks like it would be pretty difficult to remove, or to reinsert.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Thanks. When I said the foam under the grilles, I meant this
17.JPG
but I'm not going to mess with that part anyway.

You can put it back in the same way you pull it out. I have done it 2 times to make sure it works and have had 2 other people confirm with me that they are able to do it as well. The key is to remove it carefully.

-Alex-

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... OK... yeah... I have that... never removed it. Looks like it would be pretty difficult to remove, or to reinsert.

Easy to remove. Tough to put back in. The mod does increase the Soundstage & detail..The bass is better & is noticeably brighter..

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 25
Just as a note I removed the foam out of swt61's HD580's at the recent DFW meet after he loved my pair and it took me 2 minutes using needle nose pliers. I removed them perfectly without any rips or tears in the foam.

-Alex-

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 25
Having toyed with it a lot today, I think I'll do a Kramer mod on them and remove just the central part of the foam. I loved the extra treble but I want to keep the 650 true to its sound - removing the foam entirely made it sound a little unweildy.

Alex, thanks for the clarification.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy to remove. Tough to put back in. The mod does increase the Soundstage & detail..The bass is better & is noticeably brighter..

I'd love to hear more comparisons between HD-650 and completely defoamed HD-650.

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 25
I fully agree with kool bubba ice, I noticed an immediate improvement on bass.
I have had the foam pads out for years with a bit of pantyhose to protect the driver but recently put the pads in and tried the coin mod.

Right now I'm not sure if I prefer them with or without?

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by j0shimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fully agree with kool bubba ice, I noticed an immediate improvement on bass.
I have had the foam pads out for years...

I thought kool bubba ice was referring to the foam at the rear of the driver.

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you refering to the "entire" mod, removing both the foam under the ear pads, as well as the foam behind the screens on the back?

Or... are you talking about the "increase in detail and soundstage, etc." as an incremental increase after removing only the foam from behind the screens on the back (although you may have previously removed the foam from under the ear pads).

I'm tempted to try removing the foam from behind the screens on the back (I've already removed the foam from beneath the ear pads a couple of years ago)... if... I thought I could reinsert it without too much difficulty - especially for my HD650s.

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 25
What's the coin mod? Is that the same as removing just the centre of the foams?

When I removed the foams (I left the smaller foams behind the driver intact) I heard much better treble but the bass was slightly muffled, as if it was coming from the next room. The soundstage grows a lot, it's very impressive like that of the K701 but at the same time it loses accuracy and it becomes harder to place instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back