Re-discovering the Etys
Sep 25, 2003 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently visited zeplin’s house a couple weeks ago; my purpose in being there was his MDR-V6, which I was purchasing for my office rig. Zeplin welcomed me into his home and he let me audition all his awesome gear. His hospitality and amazing character make him an outstanding person and a great Head-Fi member.

Zeplin’s array of headphones was very nice, as each complimented another can’s weaknesses. The ATH-W1000 had tremendous soundstage and a great, woody timbre; it was like my W2002, though not quite there in resolution, dynamics or build quality (though the two shared similar personalities). The HD-600 is still the smoothest headphone around, and definitely one of my favorites. Finally, the ER-4P + S cable caught my eye. I’ve had an ER-4S for awhile, but my dad loved the ‘phones so much he had a custom mold created for them. He simply adores their sound and even savors the “insertion ritual.” He’s quite the esoteric enthusiast…

Needless to say I never truly heard the Ety earphones. The few times I tried them I could never establish a proper seal, and my canal always felt violated. However, I kept reading about the neutrality and unique sound the Etys offered, much like the K1000 (regarding unique sound) and electrostatics (regarding unique sound and neutrality): one must at least give such technologies a proper audition before one forsakes them.

Zeplin was excited and really explained and demonstrated the proper insertion method – he ensured I had a proper seal and that I was comfortable. I plugged the ER-4P+S converter into the HeadRoom Cosmic (with PS upgrade) and popped in “Kind of Blue into the Sony DVP-NS400D. Wow. I cannot believe how long I neglected these amazing little guys! The sound was truly special and very neutral. I am intimately familiar with “Kind of Blue” having heard it in nearly every format over hundreds of times. I love this album, and I recognize every nuance and detail. I know how this album sounds like on my reference system, and I’ve heard it with all my headphone configurations and my dad’s crazy Wilson/Krell combo. The Etys took KoB and presented it in the most neutral, realistic way I’ve ever heard. The “in-the-middle-of-your-damn-head-experience” was somewhat disorienting and fatiguing at first, but the sound was pure and right. After listening to Alice in Chains’ “Would” I was hooked. I had to get myself a pair of these hot little potatoes.

I recently received my ER-4P+S converter (2 headphones in one!) and after plugging them into my Meridian/Max combo I admit I am hooked. The treble extended into HP-2 range and the midrange was lush and smooth. The bass was taught and defined. The only flaw with this thing’s sound is one inherent with their design: there is no visceral bass impact at all, even less than the weakest electrostatic headphones. While this is not a problem for most music, it can be a glaring omission on certain albums. Other than that negligible blemish, which by their design is actually a feature, the Etys are great. I realize I’ve used the “neutral” adjective when describing these earphones, but there is no other way to explain their sound. These things truly must be heard and offer an irreproducible feeling with a distinctive characteristic all its own. This is the same feeling the HD-600s gave me when I plugged them into my Max and the same magic I felt when the K1000 and the RKV MK II met each other. I wouldn’t go so far as to call my experience an audio epiphany, but it was truly a special moment. I would like to thank zeplin for extending his hospitality and his dedication to the Ety cause: you have converted another heathen, but my ears are still sore from the conversion.
etysmile.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 6
I totally agree with the apparent "neutrality" of the ER-4S's. For some reason, people like to use those phones only with their portable rigs. However, while I do agree that no other phone offers better isolation and better sound amped, the portable sources are bad at best (in comparison to standalones).

When driven by the right home rig, I believe that the ER-4S surpasses many headphones by sheer detail and realism. Also the fact that they are relatively easy to drive makes them sound even better on mediocre home equipment (sorta like my setup). However, since your setup is far above mediocre, I'm sure that you're having a much more enjoyable experience.

In general, I do agree that the 4S bass is very thin and lacks impact. Despite this flaw, it is the tightest, most articulate bass out there. I would imagine that the Max would make it all the more tight. The way to describe the experience would probably be in terms of "blackness" and "space." The 4S's just put so much space and separation between notes and cut the jumble in between. With that kind of quality, there's no way to argue.

I have rediscovered my Etys a while ago. I hope others will take the dive and make their Etys part of their main rig
etysmile.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 6
portable-> Ety's = yuck..

i found a beautiful quality in the ety's - i very much enjoy open eyes sessions with them. the sound is like, not before my eyes, it's kind of a spring of sounds in my head. unique experience.

i would like to listen to them on $$$$ equiptment, as they are the most transparent of my 'phones, i see no reason why they won't benefit at least like the CD3000 relatively, as higher we go.

Sep 25, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 6
The Etys really benefit from higher-end equipment (most high-end headphones do). So many people only hear them with a quality portable CDP and portable amp. While this is a very decent setup, the Etys are truly at their best with a quality system. Going from zeplin's very good setup to my higher-end rig was a huge jump in quality; the sound is so good and neutral that I will now use the Etys as my tool for discerning any changes between upgrades and tweaks. If anyone has the ER-4p/s/x that they were using exclusively in a portable system, please try the Etys with your home rig - you will be amazed.
etysmile.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
If anyone has the ER-4p/s/x that they were using exclusively in a portable system, please try the Etys with your home rig - you will be amazed.
etysmile.gif

Heh, I did that. I was using them with a good portable and before I tried them with my Gilmore V2, I thought the Etys had both bad bass and bad treble. Trying them with the V2 really destroyed that misconception!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back