Re-discovering Sebadoh and Pavement (for the third or fourth time)
Jan 22, 2006 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
I first got into these bands (maybe arounr 1999 or 2000)when they had already broken up. I'm only saying that because I feel like I got cheated out of extra years of enjoying them.

Anyway, every six or none months I come back to them, and just get myself back into that lazy/slacker/hooky groove.

The Pavement re-issues on Matador have been fun so far (good sound, rare B-sides, some live stuff even).

I wonder if something like that can happen with Sebadoh.

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 21
There are a lot of fun Pavement CD singles out there. And I assume you've seen the Slow Century DVD? What about Gold Soundz?

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
There are a lot of fun Pavement CD singles out there. And I assume you've seen the Slow Century DVD? What about Gold Soundz?

Yup, picked up the DVD a while back. It's a bt uneven, but generally alot of fun.

What i've been doing lately is picking up the CD singles from 1995-99 (the earlier B-sides are now on the reissues of Slanted and Crooked Rain).

Lately, I acquired: Father To A Sister Of Thought, Spit On A Stranger, and Stereo.

I've got a couple more on the way.
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I wonder if something like that can happen with Sebadoh.

Sebadoh never reached the sales level of Pavement. I believe all Sebadoh albums are still (happily) in print from Sub Pop, so I doubt they really see a need to reissue anything. I was a huge Sebadoh fan for their first several albums but after BAKESALE I started to get a little bored with them. HARMACY was hit and miss for me, though it has some of their best songs, and I was happy to hear them move to a more "produced" sound.. however, I really did miss the 3rd dimension that Eric Gaffney brought to the band. BUBBLE AND SCRAPE to me is their peak.

Ever hear much Folk Implosion (Lou's other main project)? If not, definately check out DARE TO BE SURPRISED and ONE PART LULLABY.

-jar

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Sebadoh never reached the sales level of Pavement. I believe all Sebadoh albums are still (happily) in print from Sub Pop, so I doubt they really see a need to reissue anything. I was a huge Sebadoh fan for their first several albums but after BAKESALE I started to get a little bored with them. HARMACY was hit and miss for me, though it has some of their best songs, and I was happy to hear them move to a more "produced" sound.. however, I really did miss the 3rd dimension that Eric Gaffney brought to the band. BUBBLE AND SCRAPE to me is their peak.

Ever hear much Folk Implosion (Lou's other main project)? If not, definately check out DARE TO BE SURPRISED and ONE PART LULLABY.

-jar

You know which one is defintiely out of print -- III (on the Homestead label). That album goes for over $25 used. glad I picked it up several years back. Allmusic rates it as their "album pick". I like it, though it's still a little too raw for me. I would probably pick Baksale or harmacy as my fave.

When I listened to Folk Implosion a while ago, I wasn't too impressed. I should give it a re-listen.

The Sebadoh EPs are a mixed bag, but there are some B-side gems buried in there.
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 21
Can't stand Sebadoh, but Folk Implosion's One Part Lullabye is a terrific record. I would recommend downloading the song "Free To Go" as a sampler-- how this wasn't a #1 hit song, I'll never know.

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Can't stand Sebadoh, but Folk Implosion's One Part Lullabye is a terrific record. I would recommend downloading the song "Free To Go" as a sampler-- how this wasn't a #1 hit song, I'll never know.

Just curious, but do you like Pavement? Also, which Sebadoh albums have you heard?

Although the two bands are distinct, I have always felt that they shared a sensibility.

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 21
Always loved Pavement, have them all, deluxe editions too. For Sebadoh, I had Harmacy and the one where the baby is looking in the toilet. Kept reading I was supposed to like 'em, never did, though...
tongue.gif
I like Dinosaur Jr. much better, but really only the albums after Lou left the band. Actually, I like Dino Jr. and Mascis & The Fog better than Pavement or Folk Implosion. For whatever all that's worth...
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Always loved Pavement, have them all, deluxe editions too. For Sebadoh, I had Harmacy and the one where the baby is looking in the toilet. Kept reading I was supposed to like 'em, never did, though...
tongue.gif
I like Dinosaur Jr. much better, but really only the albums after Lou left the band. Actually, I like Dino Jr. and Mascis & The Fog better than Pavement or Folk Implosion. For whatever all that's worth...
tongue.gif

I've always been fond of Dinosaur Jr., though I haven't heard Mascis' later work. As for Pavement, I saw them live years ago here in Dublin, and somebody gave me Slanted & Enchanted, but they haven't made a strong positive impression on me yet. I've got cooler friends than me who are big into them though.

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Well, of the two bands I would have to say I like Pavement more -- in the final analysis I think they were more consistent. All the Sebadoh albums have highs and lows, and there are tracks I'll skip over (except maybe on Harmacy or Bakesale [naked toilet baby album]). But with pavement, I like almost every track.....

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
I've always been fond of Dinosaur Jr., though I haven't heard Mascis' later work. As for Pavement, I saw them live years ago here in Dublin, and somebody gave me Slanted & Enchanted, but they haven't made a strong positive impression on me yet. I've got cooler friends than me who are big into them though.

Dinosaur Jr. all the way. A bunch of their stuff has recently been re-issued (not sure if actually re-mastered, though). Vastly under-rated band IMO.

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 21
I've recently rediscovered Pavement, in the form of the new Deluxe sets of Slanted and Enchanted and Crooked Rain Crooked Rain. I've also been discovering (and mostly liking) The Silver Jews (they are to Pavement what Gorillaz is to Blur). Good stuff....

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 21
For Sebadoh/Dinosaur Jr fans, Dinosaur are touring at the moment with their orginal line up, i.e. Lou and Jay!! They are coming to Australia in a couple of months, don't know where else they're going.

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

For Sebadoh/Dinosaur Jr fans, Dinosaur are touring at the moment with their orginal line up, i.e. Lou and Jay!! They are coming to Australia in a couple of months, don't know where else they're going.

Bring hearing protection! J. plays irresponsibly loud, by far the loudest show I've ever been to. Louder than any stadium show and you'll bee seeing it in a small room holding 500 or so people.
mad.gif
There's no way after 20 years of that the guy can hear anything at all, must be stone deaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back