Re-Cabling
Dec 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

richbass

500+ Head-Fier
How can i re-cable my JVC RX900 phones ? I have no knowledge about re-cabling.
Tools needed ?
Wires ?

All can be done within $50 ?

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by richbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can i re-cable my JVC RX900 phones ? I have no knowledge about re-cabling.
Tools needed ?
Wires ?

All can be done within $50 ?

Since it is single entry you can drill a new hole on the other cup and make it dual entry. You could replace just from the socket to the tip and leave whatever wiring is in the phones. Or you can do a full recable, running wires from one cup to the other. I would assume you can take the pads off and remove the drive to get a better idea if what you are looking at. Simplest would probably be going dual entry, but it won't be the cleanest.

You will need some cable (can get very good wire for less than $1 a foot), a connector ($1 - $15 depending on what you get), and maybe some heatshrink and sleeving for tidiness and strain relief. This assumes you have a soldering iron. If not, you are looking at $10-300 depending on how nice you go (although the cheaper irons will work fine for macro work like making connectors), some solder (can be bought in small amounts on ebay for like $5). So, all in, you could do it for under $50.

Search through the DIY forum. There are probably hundreds of threads about recabling, including materials, techniques, etc.

Good luck.

Dec 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

So, i would achieve better quality with re-cabling ?

depends on the quality of the original cable...

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

ah ! what about recabling on ath-m50 and dt150 as i have them too !

Many people swear they hear differences with cables. Many people swear they don't matter. For headphones, just like with amping, some respond to recabling, some don't. The only way to truly know is to do it. Most recables are not undoable. I recabled all of my headphones for aesthetics and ergonomics. Certainly, I tried to use high quality materials so that they didn't hurt the sound (and I will admit, I wanted to see if it improved the sound). I am still not sure I can tell a real difference, but I don't have golden ears nor revealing sources. However, I have loved every minute of my DIY cabling adventures.

Decide if it is something you want to have fun with. Make shorter or longer cables. Play with sleeving for looks. Use high quality, recommended wires, and you might hear a difference. Just don't be upset if you don't get an improvement. If you get a degradation in sound, you did it wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back