Re-cabling Grado RS-2s
Nov 30, 2005 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sum

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I have a Siltech G3 interconnect on loan from a local shop. I have them connected between my Benchmark DAC1 and my pre-amp for my stereo and damn do they soundd good. I am considering having my Grado RS-2s recabled with this type of cable (if they'll do it). For those of you that are not familiar with Siltech they are Silver cables with some gold thrown in. They're actually fairly complicated, but they do sound pretty damn good. Also, they don't have the standard harshness associated with silver cables. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the matter? Has anyone else rolled their own cable on their Grados?

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 4
The RS-2 have the high grade copper cable used by Grado. I think they sound fantastic.

To rewire someone will have to break the bond between the two mahogany pieces. That would risk cracking/breaking either of them. Are you willing to risk such a fantastic can?

Just my $0.02

Nov 30, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Im not familiar with that interconnect...

I was going to recable my MS2, till I spliced it open to reterminate the plug and noticed the AWG is not all that different from the Canare I use for everything. So I just soldered the replacement connector onto the OEM Grado cable.

Although... part of me is still curious how it would sound...

Garrett

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the advice guys. The interconnect is really quite good so far. As I said I have it on loan, I'll probably end up buying one for my Benchmark though. It takes the edge off the Benchmark's highs and seems to make it bass-ier without rolling off the treble. Considering that is the exact same effect I'd like on my RS-2s it appeared to be a logical move. I am worried about screwing them up though. I might give Grado a call and see if they'd be willing to build a pair of RS-1s with a cable that is provided to them. That way I don't have to risk tearing apart mybeloved RS2s. I think I'm going to have to wait a while on this one though. The RS-1s will be expensive enough, but the cable job will easily be $500. I haven't properly compared this IC to others in it's class. I'm comparing against the stuff I have around which is:

Custom House Barracuda (my old favorite, best bang for the buck)
Monster (consistent at least)
Tributaries
Straightwire
Kimber

Technically the Siltech cable's most direct competitor is Nordost probably, which I have no listened to. None the less, I think it would be very, very interesting. I just can't wait until the Cardas ends come out for the Sennheisers. I'm guessing we're going to see tons of upgrade cables for the Senns at that point. Although I don't see it getting much better than the Zu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back