Re-cable with 3 or 4 wires... a bit confused.
Aug 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NAWilson9

New Head-Fier
I want to re-cable my ATH-M50s and so I've been looking into what connectors and cables to use. I don't want to spend a lot and have read a lot about the Mogami Neglex Quad cables (2534 and 2893) and so that is what I was planning on using. Having read some stuff online, I was initially going to use two of the wires in the cable as the grounds, one for each driver, as it is supposed to be better for whatever reason. Now that I have been thinking about it however, I don't see why this any better if it still has to go through the 3 conductor (TRS) connection in the source. After doing some research, I can't figure out where I had read that. So the overall question is, do I use a 4 wire cable and use separate grounds for the drivers or do I use a 3 wire cable and use it in the typical configuration?

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 3
Typically you would use 4 wire for balanced or dual entry at the headphone. For TRS yes you are just going to wire the 2 grounds together if you use 4 wire cable. If you had 3 wire and dual entry, you would need to have some sort of extra solder/crimp at the Y connection.

If I remember correctly, M50 just has a single entry, 3 wire is what you want.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 3
It is more flexible than 2534.

You'll need the extra ground wire anyway if you make the headphone "dual-entry": the cable splitting at a point and the separate channels going to the separate cups.

But if you will not do that, then just 2893.  Ready-made cable, almost; it just needs a connector, hook it up in place of the stock cable and you're done!  Don't forget good strain relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back