"re-cable" HD485
Apr 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sackynut

100+ Head-Fier
The HD485's have a detachable 10 foot cable, and I am purchasing a pair soon.

I was wondering, if I wanted to buy a 4-5 foot cable, that I could attach for more portability, what would be the best cable to purchase, to keep maximum sound fidelity/quality? or does it even matter that much?

hopefully this is the right section.

thanks for any help.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm not sure if you will be able to buy a cable made up for these phones (other than the kind you already have). The cable is terminated both ends with a 3.5mm mini jack but the plug casing that goes in the phones is tiny. A standard jack will not fit in the hole. I would imagine this type of plug could be ordered from somewhere but you will have to make up the cable yourself.
To be honest I wouldn't worry about the effect of an extra couple of feet on the sound quality of these phones. I've got a pair I use for falling asleep in and whilst they are OK for my purpose I wouldn't say they are the last word in audiophile experience. If the length of the cable itself is a concern I would just wrap and cable tie it.
By the way I found by ripping out the nylon foam type stuff that covers the drivers (connected to the plastic clip on frame that secures the pads), some of the muddiness is removed and clarity improved somewhat. Be warned though this isn't easily reversable but you can audition the effect first by removing the frame and just resting the pads on top of the phone's driver housing (this will make sense when you have the phones in front of you)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back