RCA to Stereo Jack converter
Dec 17, 2001 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sacriste

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any problem in convert from RCA to stereo phone jack? What performance I can wait from that?

Dec 17, 2001 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 4
There is no problem, but why would you do that? Performance would only change by the quality of parts you get (eg, WBT RCAs are $25 EACH). RCA is more standard on consumer/audiophile equipment while stereo phone is more of a pro-sound thing. You'd miss out on a lot of the good cables which are mostly RCA anyway.

Dec 18, 2001 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 4
May be I didn't explain myself very well, I'm just learning English too (I'm Venezuelan). Some of my devices doesn´t have a headphone jack (VCR, TV) so I need something to be able to connect my cans to. I can´t move my home stereo all over the house to use their headphone jack. I just want to know if the RCA is capable to drive my cans not just in term of volume but impedance, distorsion, sound quality, etc.

Dec 18, 2001 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 4
RCA -> phone jack may not drive your headphones properly as phones have low impedance, several hundred Ohms or less, whereas the RCA is intended for high impedance load, Kilo Ohm range. You need a headphone amplifier.
BTW, I often use my camcoder as a headphone amplifier by setting it in VCR-record mode and plugging my cans into the headphone jack on the camcoder. It sounds pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back