RCA Splitters?
Oct 24, 2003 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Filipe

100+ Head-Fier
splittersmall.jpg

As I use my headphone amp at work it would be nice to hear sounds from the computer at the same time.
Can I use the above splitter at the amp input and plug in one pair coming from the computer and another from my music source (hence hearing both)?

Just an idea..

Thanks
Fil

Oct 24, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 12
i used to do the exact same thing with my mg-head so i could listen to a cd player and my computer. no noticible loss in sound quality that i could tell.

edit: it just occured to me that you might be asking if you could listen to both at the same time. i never tried that. hmmm, i don't think it could hurt but what do i know?

Oct 24, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 12
I dont believe so, cause the male rca is the input and the female are the outputs. Its rather for using the same source with 2 different amps than for mixing 2 signals into one.

Oct 24, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Bonkura
I dont believe so, cause the male rca is the input and the female are the outputs.

tomato, tomahto. it's not a directional adaptor. my hunch is that it should work out. (like i said, i tried it before)

Oct 24, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
it's not a directional adaptor. my hunch is that it should work out. (like i said, i tried it before)

eek.gif
really? If it works that way then thats really odd, at least to me. It shoulnt be called rca splitter if it does what u imply it does.

Oct 24, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 12
As someone once told me, "...last I heard, electrons flow both ways..."
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah splitter/merger, same difference.

The main issue is impedances. As long as the headphone amp can handle both, and as long as the output impedance of the CD player and the computer are about the same, then you shouldn't have too many problems. But there, theoretically, is a problem of back-EMF, so you really should use a mixer if you want high-fidelity.

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 12
I need some very high quality connectors of this type to switch my source between two different amplifiers when needed. Does anyone know where they could be purchased?
Jan Meier is offering some on his website, but ordering two connectors all the way from Germany dosent make a lot of sense.

JC

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 12
These Vampire splitters?

I have a pair, I hear they are very transparent, but I am not using them. (Plus, I don't really have the gear to evaluate them). I can take a picture if anyone is super curious to the looks.

Personally, I did not think that these were bi-directional (I thought JMendrios had a thread on this once). I'll have to check.

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 12
i got mine from radioshack. i can't complain. they got gold on 'em. no decrease in sq that i could tell. but i'm not really one to believe that connectors are really going to screw with sq in a significant manner. (it's barely an inch of connection for crying out loud)

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

i got mine from radioshack. i can't complain. they got gold on 'em. no decrease in sq that i could tell. but i'm not really one to believe that connectors are really going to screw with sq in a significant manner. (it's barely an inch of connection for crying out loud)

there's barely a milimeter of connection between power cables capable of killing you and complete safety.

using size of connection as a measure for impact on sound quality is not accurate.

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxvla
using size of connection as a measure for impact on sound quality is not accurate.

really? cause i always thought 100ft of sub-par cable would sound worse than half a foot of it. i'm just saying that since connectors are so short, they don't have to deal with the build issues that cables have to deal with.

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

really? cause i always thought 100ft of sub-par cable would sound worse than half a foot of it. i'm just saying that since connectors are so short, they don't have to deal with the build issues that cables have to deal with.

there is a degree of truth to what you say but qualifying your argument using length does not make sense. why would you use a sub par connector with higher quality equipment/cables? thats like having a 20,000 dollar theater audio setup and a 13 inch tube tv to watch it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back