RCA splitter or switch (or something else)?
Jun 12, 2017 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jimmi232

New Head-Fier
Just got my first headphone amp and DAC. Amp only has one RCA input, but I want to run two inputs into it without having to constantly plug and unplug from the amp.

I want to run a phono preamp into the amp along with the DAC output. Is there any downside to using a split RCA cable (something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MRVF9XJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_ArTpzbSKYTD4R) as opposed to a switch (something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004T8KZCM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_sqTpzbRMQQKP9)?

Obviously I would only be running one source at a time (DAP/smartphone -> DAC -> Amp OR turntable -> phono pre -> Amp). I was able to find a few posts about RCA splitters, but most dealt with multiple outputs rather than inputs. I'm new to this, so if there is another option, I'd appreciate the help.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 6
What you want is a Schiit Sys. It has a volume control on it but I just have it turned all the way up for the purpose I use it for. I actually run it backwards as I have it running two amps from one source with no problems at all.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 6
What you want is a Schiit Sys. It has a volume control on it but I just have it turned all the way up for the purpose I use it for. I actually run it backwards as I have it running two amps from one source with no problems at all.
Agreed, that would be ideal. Only problem is that in Canada, once you pay shipping, customs and taxes, it's $100, which seems steep for what amounts to a RCA switch. Used market isn't exactly flooded with them either sadly.

So it sounds like a switch is the way to go - options are limited on Amazon, but I suppose I'll just go for one of those.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Splitters should not be used to combine two outputs. This would cause contention, where one output is trying to drive the splitter node to one voltage and the other output is trying to drive it do a different voltage, potentially causing large current between the two devices. It probably wouldn't be an issue if you always have one device powered off while using the other, but I agree that a switch is the way to go.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Another vote for the SYS! I love mine.

An added benefit is that it can improve the sound of some DAC/amps by letting them operate in DAC only mode. (Some DAC/amps sound significantly worse when their amp interferes with the signal.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back