RCA (Red & White) to USB?
Jun 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have a issue that I need to solve. You see, I have a Playstation 3, and an Xbox 360. I already have a KECES DAC, and a PPAv2 headphone amp. Right now the USB from my computer is running into my DAC and the DAC into my headphone amp. Now, what I want to do is have my Playstation 3 audio (RCA Red & White) going into my DAC. I am looking for a conversion cable to do this but some of the ones I have found are REALLY expensive and have all kinds of features that I do not need. My main thing is to have my RCA audio cable coming from a PS3 into my DAC so I can use my headphones.

Is this a good/bad idea? Is there any cheaper cables, or is there some cables that I should avoid? Please, I am listening to any suggestions, thanks guys!

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Do not do this.
USB outputs a digital signal, and RCA outputs an analog signal.
The so-called "rca to usb converters" you've looked at are actually ADC's, that convert the analog signal, back to a digital signal.
The point of a external DAC is to bypass the cheap integrated DAC inside some systems. If you do this, you're not bypassing the internal dac.
Basically, you're looking at Digital(stored in hard drive) -> Analog(via ps3 dac) -> Digital(via converter) -> and back to Analog (via keces dac).
Does the ps3 have any digital outputs?(optical, coax, rca)

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 8
Solid Snake, the KECES DA-151 can only be used with a computer. If you want to route the analog outputs of other devices to your headphones, you'll need to do it via the headphone amplifier.

Consider getting a source selector. The analog outputs of your devices (DA-151, PS3, Xbox 360) will plug into the source selector, and the source selector's output will plug into your headphone amplifier. Then you'll be able to switch between sources on-the-fly.

Or, you could just unplug and replug devices into your headphone amplifier.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, if I can use the amp without the DAC, it will make everything much more simpler. Would the PS3 and Xbox 360 sound great if I just use my PPAv2 headphone amp itself? Also, for the source selectors, is there a specific kind that I should get, or would a standard radioshack one work fine?

Also, another thing that I thought was to get a KECES 131 which has a digital input coax/optical. If I was to get the PS3, take that Optic cable and put it into a source selector, and from the source selector to the KECES 131, would this be alright or would this be a bad idea?

When it comes to headphones, is there a big difference in sound quality when it is compared between analog and digital?

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 8
how about a set of RCA splitters? I know some are directional and can only be used on the source end, but i imagine there has to be some that can be used on an amplifier.

if the PS3 and KECES 131 both have toslink connectors as you describe, then it would work fine.

as for your last question, i imagine that would depend entirely on the headphones, and analog and digital components you had in mind.

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if I can use the amp without the DAC, it will make everything much more simpler. Would the PS3 and Xbox 360 sound great if I just use my PPAv2 headphone amp itself? Also, for the source selectors, is there a specific kind that I should get, or would a standard radioshack one work fine?

Also, another thing that I thought was to get a KECES 131 which has a digital input coax/optical. If I was to get the PS3, take that Optic cable and put it into a source selector, and from the source selector to the KECES 131, would this be alright or would this be a bad idea?

When it comes to headphones, is there a big difference in sound quality when it is compared between analog and digital?

Will they sound great? Probably not... They're video game systems, not audiophile sources.
wink.gif

Source selectors vary in quality, but unless you want to pay uber-bucks, most of them will be the same. Most source selectors do not include digital inputs and outputs (coaxial, optical, etc.), so if that's what you want, be sure the source selector you've chosen has them.

If the PS3 has a stereo-only digital output option, you'll be able to use it with an external stereo DAC. Just remember that external DACs can't accept surround content. For example, if a game or movie has 5.1-channel audio, the PS3 must internally downmix it to two-channel in order to feed the sound to your DAC. I'm sure it does this for the analog stereo output, but not sure if it's an option for digital output (you'll have to check the sound options).

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about a set of RCA splitters? I know some are directional and can only be used on the source end, but i imagine there has to be some that can be used on an amplifier.

Splitters are only recommended when the output is being split. In this case, the headphone amplifier's input would be loaded with multiple devices, which is not recommended.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 8
yes, you want a source selector.

So
PS3 ------> source selector 1 input ---> amp
Computer -> DAC --> source selector 2 input --> amp

Getting a radioshack one is fine, but you could get a higher quality one like a QED IX20

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 8
Seeing as you have a PPAv2, I think its better to just add a DPDT switch and 2 rca jacks into the amplifier for switchable inputs.
The person who built the amp may be willing to do this for a small fee, else, its not very hard to do it yourself, so long as you have any cheap soldering iron and a drill bit to drill a hole for the RCA jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back