RCA plugs: (Neutrik) Rean NYS352G vs Amphenol ACPL/ACPR
Apr 7, 2022 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dandreye

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Apologies for yet another thread on RCA plugs. Can Rean NYS352G (reportedly by Neutrik) be expected to pass analog audio no worse than Amphenol ACPL/ACPR or equivalent? They seem to have identical electrical specs but one can hardly expect the same amount of gold plating on them for instance: priced at ~GBP1 here in the UK the NYS352G is 2-3 times cheaper than say Amphenol ACPR..... or is it just sheer marketing? I personally like the look of Rean NYS352G more, and also the fact it's shorter.

These are to be used to "connect and forget" (the analog outputs of a Topping E30 DAC and a Denon DCD-1500AE SACD player to a Denon PMA1500AE analog amp), so features like cable strain relief, ease of frequent connect-disconnect etc don't matter at all. The cable is 0.5-1m long 4.5mm thick (OD) Mogami 2964/2965: I'm well aware that it's for digital audio - just saw some posts saying that due to their superior electrical specs they're also better for analog audio than traditional analog audio ones.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 13
I've not personally heard a difference between connectors that make a solid connection.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 13
So all that gold plating is mostly for frequent use then? (connect-disconnect)
Assuming the connectors are using similar materials and they contact equally, I don't think there would be a difference.

I've used the amphenol and neutrik ones, but not the rean. I've also used others like switchcraft and eminence. All in all, the connectors didn't cause any change in sound that I could detect.

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 13
OK thank you: I'll likely go for the Rean NYS352G ones then, as can't see the point in paying extra for no gain.
If you have the opportunity, you could purchase both and return the one you prefer less. It's just my experience with stuff from world's best cables, but ymmv.

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 13
If you have the opportunity, you could purchase both and return the one you prefer less. It's just my experience with stuff from world's best cables, but ymmv.
That's quite an option indeed, I just feel I'll only be able to compare their look and feel: e.g. one worry I have with Amphenol ACPR ones is that they're quite long while I don't have too much room behind the equipment, and holding them in hand may tell for sure.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 13
Neither should affect the sound unless one is defective. The gold plating is only to prevent corrosion, not for conductivity.

Get the one that is cheaper or that you like the looks of. I like the looks and price of the Rean, personally.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 13
The gold plating is only to prevent corrosion, not for conductivity.
That's still essential in my case: once cabled up, it'll stay intact for years ahead, so knowing that there's no corrosion to deal with would be extra peace of mind.
I like the looks and price of the Rean, personally.
Yeah, same here. Just need to find a suitable sleeve to fill in a ~3mm gap between the cable and the plug housing, as heat shrink tubing isn't thick enough.

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 13
I've been using the Rean connectors for-- I don't remember, five years? Longer?-- without any problems, corrosion or otherwise.

I couldn't find Mogami 2964, did you mean 2694? If so, I believe its outer diameter is 6mm, which is the same size as the opening on the Rean connector. Probably not a coincidence! So no need for heat shrink or other sleeving. In fact, it probably wouldn't even fit.

Also, it's probably fine to use cable intended for digital, but you shouldn't feel obligated to do it. ALL Mogami cable is very high quality and will not degrade the sound at all (so long as you use it properly, E.G., don't use speaker cable for interconnects). I've used W2549, which also has an O.D. of 6mm. Very pliable and easy to work with.

Edit: wait a minute! I've confused myself! I swear I couldn't find 2964 before, now I can't find 2694. Darn dyslexia! 2964 has an OD of 4.8mm.
Either way, I'd personally want to use a cable designed for its specific function.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 13
Btw I've just found the specs of several coax Mogami cables at the maker's website (2964 is in the last column there):
https://mogamicable.com/category/bulk/video/subminiature_miniature/

I bought it after reading a post on some forum about their superiority for analog audio too (they're marketed for digital audio), particularly due to their lower capacitance. I hardly have any idea what that parameter is about though: just trusted the post. Dimensions wise, the spec says it's OD4.8mm although mine measures 4.5mm, so it'll be somewhat loose in the Rean NYS352G - but I guess that can be ignored as it's "connect and forget".

Update: just found this in Mogami Tech Catalog: "...unbalanced audio cable Part No. 2964 is designed to be 75Ω coaxial cable comprised of OFC conductor so that it can be used for video signal as well as audio signal application with its low capacitance value of 65pF/m (19.8pF/Ft). Stereo cable Part No. 2965 is basically dual version of 2964 so that it can be also used for video signal."

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 13
Ah. I see. I don't know what I was doing when I looked that cable up before.

Your post reminded me that a long time ago I read about using 75Ω digital coax to make analog cables. I think this was one of the articles. My understanding is that an "analog" cable like W2549 already measures well enough to be audibly transparent (i.e., doesn't alter the signal in any way that can be heard), but a "digital" cable like W2964 measures better. Unless you're using huge runs of cable (tens of meters), neither will cause any audible difference, even though one is technically better.

Apr 12, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Nice article: thank you. Surely "analog" cable would still be perfectly fine at up to 1m lengths and I'd probably have chosen that W2549 or a similar one had I not seen that post. Btw the 2964/2965 (got both) is so flexible, making it possible to go down to 0.5m: no chance for that with my old thick "analog" QED Qunex 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back