RC Nitro
Dec 14, 2007 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dork Knight

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else into Nitro Truggies/Buggies/Moster Trucks etc here?

I recently thought I would like to try my hand at it and bought a Kyosho Inferno ST-RR Kit;

inferno-st-rr.jpg

The build seems to be going well, currently waiting on a new shell, wing and tyres.

Here is my progress so far;

STRR_Build1.jpg

STRR_Build2.jpg

STRR_Build3.jpg

STRR_Build4.jpg

STRR_Build5.jpg

STRR_Build6.jpg

I hope that this project turns out OK as I've already sunk about £1.3K / $2.6K into it.

If it doesn't I'll be banging my head against the wall asking myself; Why O Why didn't I put the money towards a new source.

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 15
Very nice, are you painting the shell yourself?
If you are I recommend Faskolor paints; water based, ready to spray straight out of the bottle, makes my airbrush a lot easier to clean than with enamels/thinned acrylics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$2600? o_O

That's a fairly normal RC budget, it gets a lot worse, to the point were you buy these.
Yes, that is a fuel additive to make the fumes smell of vanilla and it is available in more delicious flavours.

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 15
yeah, nitro is a hobby of mine as well...

my very first nitro m/t was a tamiya tnx 3.0, and i upgraded it a lot.... still have it but haven't driven it in a while. now im working on an x-cellerator xtm stadium truck..

got my little brother in it too. he has a savage x

they are a lot fun, especially modding and upgrading...

when my uncle came over our house and saw our trucks, he went to a local hobby shop, and bought himself a team losi muggy. that night the 3 of drove our trucks around, climbing on each other and making jumps. really fun

$2600 doesnt seem anyway near the price of nitro... unless maybe you buy a 1/5 gas buggy, and add upgrades... unless your crazy enough to put $1500+ in upgrades in a nitro truggy...

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 15
I've only been doing this two and a half months or so and my first (and only other Nitro Truck) is the Tamiya TNX 5.2R, it seems an awfully good truck but I've also spent a fair amount on Hop-Ups.

I've spent more on other items only to find they don't fit the ST-RR, lets hope as it's such a new release that companies will be working on Hop-Ups to release as we speak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basil101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice, are you painting the shell yourself?

Thank you, but I won't be painting the shell - I recently painted one with rattle cans (I don't have an airbrush system) for the TNX, it's OK for a first attempt but not that good.

So I've ordered one of the following shells and I'll keep the original as a backup;
Symbio Truggy Karo T1 für Kyosho ST-RR,Xray XT8,Mantis on eBay, also Maßstab 1 8 Buggy, Autos, RC-Modellbau, Modellbau (end time 21-Dec-07 09:30:50 GMT)
90e8_1.JPG
925d_1.JPG

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 15
^^
biggrin.gif

Very nice, if you are going to buy any more get a Ripmax catalogue as they have some very nice ready-to-race shells and can be ordered via these shops.
The painting shells isn't overly difficult, but it is strange painting the top coat first and then the base colour.

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 15
What the crap is all that money spent on? How much can mini engines like that cost? $2600 is more than I spent on my actual car...

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

What the crap is all that money spent on? How much can mini engines like that cost? $2600 is more than I spent on my actual car...

What the crap? How can you spend 300 dollars for a friggin headphone? The ipod headphone sound just fine you're freaking ridiculous!! Man, you're nuts, RedLeader!

/sarcasm off
tongue.gif
Get it now?

edit: /sarcasm back on
300 dollars is more than I friggin spent on my iPod!!!
/sarcasm off
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
redface.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Well, the Engine and Manifold came in at just over $600.

The cost soon adds up when you start adding good quality items.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the crap? How can you spend 300 dollars for a friggin headphone? The ipod headphone sound just fine you're freaking ridiculous!! Man, you're nuts, RedLeader!

/sarcasm off
tongue.gif
Get it now?

edit: /sarcasm back on
300 dollars is more than I friggin spent on my iPod!!!
/sarcasm off
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
redface.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Can't say I'd spend $300 on a headphone either...

May 6, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 15
ummm, I like what you have done, I wish I had more access to nice parts like that here in NZ, spent about $2000-$2500 on mine. Well worth it for the quality of these K-Cars, lovin them
smily_headphones1.gif

CIMG2571.jpg

CIMG1826.jpg

CIMG1860.jpg

And my MP777 Sp2

CIMG1962.jpg

Azza

May 6, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 15
I have an original Traxxas T-Maxx (nitro monster truck) and an Associated RC10B3 (electric buggy). Gosh, I haven't taken my RC cars out in probably 4-5 years. I used to sink a good amount of cash into them, and since I was only a teenager then I didn't really have a whole lot of cash to spend! I miss tinkering with them, though. I should dust 'em off eventually, clean them up and see if they still run well. Man, those things are FUN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back