RC Intrest Developing
Jul 11, 2002 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
I've developed an intrest in RC 'toys'

Paticularly RC Gliders, Helicopters, Airplanes

I have some good expeirience flying electric and gas powerd airplanes but that was a long time ago.

I live quite far from places where such fun hobbies are pursued with great intrest. So I would like to start small so I don't get raped in shipping charges. My real intrest has always been helicopters but I just simply couldn't afford one then due to budget constraints.

Would anyone like to guide a so called newbie in RC flying.

FIY for those who don't know what RC stands for it's Remote Controlled
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 9
My 13 year old son has been into nitro powered RC cars for about a year. And I thought this headphone thing was an expensive hobby!
rolleyes.gif

When I return from my business trip I'll post some links to some retailer's sites that he frequents.

Jul 12, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 9
I always wanted to get an RC chopper... too bloody expensive though. A decent ready made model costs more than a Cosmic
rolleyes.gif

Of course, they're supposed to be *difficult* to fly. As in *lots* of practice needed, at low altitudes, with funny ultra-long styrofoam-ball tipped legs.

Jul 12, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 9
I've always wanted to get a RC Hellicopter and or hybrid powered glider that is basically a glider that also has a battery powered prop engine that allows you to take off like a plane then shut the engine off at altitude and glide around then run the engine whenever you need to regain altittude. They can obtain pretty high altitudes so I wanted to mount a camera on it to get some otherwise unobtainable photos or even video of scenery around hawaii...maybe some day i'll be crazy enough to try it...

Jul 12, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 9
Do yourself a big favor... start with a slow electric-powered high winged trainer made from EPP foam - one with a cheap 540 motor that you can replace for $6 and a prop for $5. I'll help you out if you can't find someone to ship to you. You want to be able to fly it right into a tree (or a camel) without damage - because that's exactly what you'll do while learning to fly.

(guess how I know...)

Jul 12, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you

Jon, RVD, eric343, squirt and aeberbach.

I luckily found a shop near me which sells stuff by Kyosho (a very rare thing ot find here ... I didn't even know this shop existed) and the products they sell are top notch.

eric343, squirt:

The price (here) for a starter Kyosho Nexus series helicopter (gas powered) is around $300 USD and it seems like a good product at least according to some DIY R/C websites. Let me postpone that for awhile
wink.gif
. I am sure it will be cheaper there not to mention spare parts. So what are you waiting for?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wireless cameras are getting real cheap not to mention those small Casio screens. What are you waiting for?
very_evil_smiley.gif

RVD:

I will check out those forums.

aeberbach:

I'd like to ask some questions here first. Flying an airplane would be nice but I really have a very strong desire for flying a helicopter. Unless a decent starter airplane is cheap
wink.gif

How hard is it to fly a helicopter?
Time is on my hands so that isn't a problem and I do learn fast.

LOL the camels better start running here ... fast!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think I'll call my first bird the flying-mangler.

Have you got any links for those foam airplanes you mentioned?

Everyone:

Tell you what. If anyones intrested in this I'll keep posting publicly otherwise I'll work thru PM. So post here and let us know.

Jul 13, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 9
There's a park here that is specially set aside for RC crafts and the Kysho Nexus 30s are common sites there. i've seen them do complete rolls and they can go pretty fast but most folks appear to be just learning to fly so they just hover around near the ground most of the time...they sure look like fun...a real hello has 3 main controls: pitch, cyclic and the tail rotor pitch control which you control with your feet...i don't know how you control a RC hello but i would imagine its pretty similar but you don't use your feet for the tail rotor of course...i seriously doubt i want to try using a powered glider with a camera attached anymore particularly since the events of Sep 11...the one i was planning on using has about a 14 foot wing span and i wouldn't want it to be mistaken for some kind of hostile survailence craft flying around the city and maybe have it get toasted by an F-15...how times have changed...The RC hello still seems like a fun thing though and i may get a Nexus some day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back