razer mouse question
Aug 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, so i got an odd question for anyone using a razer mouse here.

are all of the buttons assignable to ANY key on the keyboard??

My wife is starting a course in photoshop/illustrator, and needs a mouse where she can press a button (the more on the mouse the better), and have it assignable to certain keys on the keyboard.

eg. mouse button 5 = "~" key, mouse button 6 = Ctrl-V, etc..

reason I ask is my wife had a stroke and can't use her left hand, so she needs to be able to hold down keys like ~ and move the mouse at the same time.. impossible to do one handed

Any better ideas than a multi-button mouse?I believe they make a nine button mouse - lachesis or something..

Thanks in advance..

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 16

my microsoft habu

oh yeah, even better, youu csn hhave 5 profiles and a button to switch between them
smily_headphones1.gif
didnt know that to just now!

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 16
Do the Logitech MX518 have the same features? If so, I would highly recommend this mouse over the Razer's, or at least, to the DeathAdder. The Razer's movements feels somewhat unatural and are sloppy (not as exact) compared to the MX518. The MX518 has a lot better buttons too IMO. I always pushed the left button unintentional with the DeathAdder. Nicer shape for the hand on the MX518 as well I might add, at least for me. The DeathAdder is too flat. Got tired of using it.

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so i got an odd question for anyone using a razer mouse here.

are all of the buttons assignable to ANY key on the keyboard??

My wife is starting a course in photoshop/illustrator, and needs a mouse where she can press a button (the more on the mouse the better), and have it assignable to certain keys on the keyboard.

eg. mouse button 5 = "~" key, mouse button 6 = Ctrl-V, etc..

reason I ask is my wife had a stroke and can't use her left hand, so she needs to be able to hold down keys like ~ and move the mouse at the same time.. impossible to do one handed

Any better ideas than a multi-button mouse?I believe they make a nine button mouse - lachesis or something..

Thanks in advance..

I think it might work, holding down the ~ key might be tricky with the way the macros work. I'll try to remember to test it when I get home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the Logitech MX518 have the same features? If so, I would highly recommend this mouse over the Razer's, or at least, to the DeathAdder. The Razer's movements feels somewhat unatural and are sloppy (not as exact) compared to the MX518. The MX518 has a lot better buttons too IMO. I always pushed the left button unintentional with the DeathAdder. Nicer shape for the hand on the MX518 as well I might add, at least for me. The DeathAdder is too flat. Got tired of using it.

I think this is very much personal preference, I'm using an MX500 now which I like and brought to work but I find DeathAdder far superior and definitely not sloppy.

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 16
does work, works with shift, ctrl, alt,

never had a pure razer but the microsoft-habu partnership made a ace one with the habu imo

like this thread, you can even speell words cause the macros work up to 8 keys down and released

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does work, works with shift, ctrl, alt,

never had a pure razer but the microsoft-habu partnership made a ace one with the habu imo

nice, that driver control panel looks very similar to the pure razer mice I'm guessing the macro functions the same.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 16
hmm i like that the keys can have macros, if someone could test the "holding down a mouse button = holding down a key" functionality, i'd be most appreciative.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 16
yeah think its actualy exactly the same, dunno whats microsoft and whats razer lol, probably crosses with a mix of gaming and general use, box has both microsoft and razer on it. i do like microsft joysticks mice

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 16
try this program:

http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

that has many, many functions, and you can program each and every button. for the "mouse button=keystorke", there is the simulated keystroke function. the great thing is that it barely uses any memory. i barely use its power, but i have seen power users really take it to another level. the guy who suggested it to me used it for photo shop, so i presume it should be quite good.
as for which mouse to use, sorry i cant help there, but any mouse with a lot of buttons should suffice.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

hmm i like that the keys can have macros, if someone could test the "holding down a mouse button = holding down a key" functionality, i'd be most appreciative.

i just tried it, i can spel qwerty by pressing button 7 lol usually have it that pushing the wheel is ctrl+R for reload of firefox webpage

then theres a gaming profile etc

also tried this, asign a button, to profile switch, ie press button six in profile 1 will switch to profile 2, then the ssme button in profile 2 can switch to 3 etc

so you can go p1->2->p3->p4->p1->2 etc or whatever, you can get alot more buttons that way
wink.gif

oh yeah this is all stored in the mouses internal memory

pic of mouse

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I also just tested it.

Ctrl works fine, I was able to bind it as a single key to a mouse button and use letters on the keyboard while holding it down to activate shortcuts no problem.

I also tested a single key bind of "~" but I don't know any key combinations to test so I tested to see if it repeated in notepad or caused rapid "error ding" sounds in some situations where holding down the key on my keyboard would. These tests showed a negative result where it only registered as a single quick press, however I don't really have a clear understanding of how key repeat works in relation to keyboards themselves.. I know there is a setting in the bios for it so driver level software might not create the effect while windows still recognizes the key as being held down.

Finally I wanted to be sure so I loaded call of duty and attempted to bind "~" to fire but the game will not recognize this key as a valid choice so I tried two other keys "/" "." both with positive results, the gun fires as long as I hold down the mouse button.

I think it's pretty safe to say Razer mice register fine "holding it down" when bound as a single button, and as Al4x mentioned earlier more elaborate macros are also possible.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 16
Thank you Zodduska, we appreciate yours and Al4x's efforts.

I think we'll be getting a Lachesis - 9 (!) programmable buttons.

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Thank you Zodduska, we appreciate yours and Al4x's efforts.

I think we'll be getting a Lachesis - 9 (!) programmable buttons.

that one and mine were the 2 i was considering!, good luck

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 16
well.. .if you want to try, Logitech's G9 gaming mouse (and I assume, some other mouse if they are supported by the G9 mouse software)
allow you to record macro, which includes time delay between button, mouse movement and such. I don't know how long you can record the macro
but so far, the macro command can record 12 mins of macro without a problem
(currently using that function to farm in RPG games while I am cooking)

Aug 29, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back