Razer Kraken Forged edition or Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, torn between the two ?
Dec 15, 2016 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pieman

New Head-Fier
Which of the two headphones are best for listening to music and playing games. I also wear glasses so comfort is a bid deal for me, additionally my usual play sessions on the weekend are around 8-10 hours so they'll need to comfortable. 

What i need:
Comfort
Decent all round sound quality
portability
build quality 
anything and everything else. 

If there are any other suggestions around this sort of price range (£100-£200) then please let me know

color]

Thank you .

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 11
Ok thanks for the reply mate, i've checked the DT770 out and seen that they have a pretty long cable. Now i will be travelling with these headphones and it does seem like a issue. Also i have a slightly smaller head than normal 
smily_headphones1.gif
 and so the DT's look really big and bulky compared to the m50x's. Are the DT's considerably better than the M50X's in terms of comfort ????

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 11
The DT770 may have better sound quality but different people like different sounds.

DT770 is probably more comfortable but may be a little more bulky.

Maybe you can google some picture of both phones on peoples heads to get a size comparison.

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 11
I haven't heard the M50X, but have heard the M50 - not sure how comparable, but if my choices were M50 or Kraken FE, I'd take the Kraken FE 8 days a week. I will say, honestly, the FE build quality was beyond anything I expected at their MSRP ($299 at launch), and assuming they haven't cut a ton of corners to get the price to where it is now (e.g. we're just assuming its free market movement) they're silly good for that price. Sound quality wise they will do better with games and movies than with music, which seems to be their design - they're comfortable, offer some isolation, look nice, and have a very bass-driven presentation that works very well with games and movies, but with some music can be a bit much (you can always EQ down or maybe you like a lot of bass). Honestly I think if Razer had just tweaked the voicing a slight bit (e.g. more towards the v-curve than the darker presentation they have) they'dve had a real winner on their hands, HOWEVER, that darker presentation is probably deliberate as it leads to a much more forgiving presentation, which again plays nicer with videogames that may not have the best sound quality (random example: you don't notice the compression ringing nearly at all in Skyrim, where a more v-curve headphone (like Audio-Technica W1000X) it stands out pretty glaringly in some places).

Something else to consider: Creative Aurvana Live. They're about $50 these days, they're comfortable, and they're fairly balanced in sound (at least as I remember it - its been a few years).

I know you mentioned portability, but I'll also throw out there Grados as a comfy option for long-term gaming sessions (I think my personal record is something like 13 hours), but I know some people find Grados uncomfortable, and they (of course) provide zero isolation. Just food for thought more than anything else. :)

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 11
I got the beyerdynamic custom studio headphones very durable great audio. and fits good, I didn't felt really any pressure on my head. Only downside is that the ear pads get hot after some time, but that's generally present with everyone after some hours. Also a pro is that is fully repairable by hand, changeable cables and everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back