Ray's XP-7, SR-71 and the Hornet; which one?
Nov 28, 2005 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Pendergast

Head-Fier
Well, I decided to make a big jump.

I am looking for some of Ray Samuels products.

I read good reviews of all of them, but no comparo between these 3.

How are your feelings about these amps?

I have eclectic tastes (classic jazz, rock, classical, progressive and experimental music and am weak for non-operatic female voices), and I do travel once in awhile, but probably not enough to require an amp to travel with, although that seems to be a good thing to have.

The amp would sit beside my bed, to hold me company, with etymotics 4p as well as Grado 225. The source is an iPod nano, and I may upgrade to a 5G in the near future.

So? What say you? Your comments will be greatly appreciated!

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 22
I did a comparison side by side of the Hornet and the SR-71. I listen mostly to Jazz (80%), Blues (10%), and New Age (10%). I preferred the sound of the SR-71. For the test I was using my Grado RS-1 and a 60 Gb Ipod Photo.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
By the way there is a fellow Head Fier selling an XP-7, its power supply and an unoppened HF-1 for $775. You might want to look into it.

Thanks mrarroyo.

Thanks also NightsWoundsTime.

So far, I have to say I am weak for the SR-71. The XP-7, I don't know. Looks fine, just don't understand why it is not compared more often with the SR-71 and the Hornet, so I am very curious.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 22
There's a review accessible on Ray's website (I believe from a member on Ipodstudio who's also a member here) that claims that the SR-71 and Hornet are both better than the XP-7. Of course the greater portablility could have been a factor but I believe the sound was mentioned also. Ray might disagree, and the XP-7 also has the option to roll opamps.

Edit: Reviewer was Lindrone. Available at http://ipastudio.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=74. My bad the Hornet was not included but here's a quote on SR-71 Vs. XP-7.

Quote:

I really do think that the SR-71 is vastly superior in many facets compared to XP-7, with the SR-71 around I don't see a reason to go for XP-7 at all. With the XP-7, you can change the opamp to tweak the sound signature to your liking, but even with AD797 socketed (same default opamp shipped with HR-2, and still my favorite), XP-7 still doesn't sound as pleasing to my ear as SR-71. XP-7 does have one additional advantage in that you can opt to add an outboard power supply to it, fashioning it in the same style as HR-2. However the outboard power supply is an expensive upgrade that can bring the XP-7 up to the $700 range. By that point, you may as well get a HR-2 as a home amp.

Nov 29, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 22
If the rock portion of your musical taste is in the miniority, the SR-71 may be the way to go if you believe that you may have some portable needs in the future. However, I personally listen to mostly jazz and use my Hornet exclusively for portable use. I felt the size and added features of a gain switch and internal charging capability to be worth any slight sq differences (not better or worse, just different), The XP-7 is an excellent amp with or without the external power supply. It is transportable as it can run on battery but is too big to be truly portable. I had one that I used as a bedside amp with my ipod. It gives you the option, as NightWoundsTime pointed out, of op amp rolling.

The choice is yours. Weigh the differences in terms of size and features. In terms of SQ, there are differences but I believe the differences are probably subtle so you may be happy with any one of them.

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast
So far, I have to say I am weak for the SR-71.

BozeButtons is selling a pre-owned SR-71 on the For Sale Forum. You might want to contact him if you're looking for one.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
BozeButtons is selling a pre-owned SR-71 on the For Sale Forum. You might want to contact him if you're looking for one.

Yah, these days SR-71 is constantly showing up on the for sale forum (could this be because the Hornet?). There is one that will include a RnB diamond reference for free if you get the SR-71 from him.

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
Yah, these days SR-71 is constantly showing up on the for sale forum (could this be because the Hornet?). There is one that will include a RnB diamond reference for free if you get the SR-71 from him.

They were being sold like crazy on the mere anticipation of the Hornet. The power of the flavor of the month is very strong in this community. Really it doesn't mean anything about its sound.

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 22
I would suggest the SR-71. Buy it used and you will get a great value for the money you will be paying. It also matches your music preferences.
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz

I wouldnt have believed it, until I saw that thread after reading this post.

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I wouldnt have believed it, until I saw that thread after reading this post.

I can assure you that I meant no disrespect. I could have gone the other way:

«Buy my Diamond Class Reference for $ and get a SR-71 for free....
biggrin.gif
»

The way I see it it's realy a gift. A realy nice one.

Amicalement

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 22
I had an SR-71 and can't fault it at all-- a great amp, built extremely well, long battery life (especially w/ lithium 9V's). The only thing I would say is that it's almost "too neutral" (I know, I know-- is that possible??), at least for my tastes. For classical, a godsend. For rock and metal, perhaps not colored enough to make the music as enjoyable as it could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back