Ray Samuels
May 25, 2008 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

GordonFreeman

Banned
I recently purchased a Raptor amplifier from Ray and wanted to tell everyone about my experience. I have been agonizing over what amp to buy for some time now and I can tell you there is no doubt whatsoever that I made the right choice. I E-mailed Ray when he was at the show in Fla and heard back from him a few days later even though he had a tremendous amount of E-mail piled up as he was in Fla attending the show. He had two Raptors burning in and ready to go. I mailed him a check on a Thursday and he cashed it about Wednesday of the following week and my amp arrived Monday the following week. I called him before the weekend to get an ETA expecting to hear your atypical "Maybe I can Ship it tomorrow" and to my astonishment it had been shipped and he gave me a tracking number and there it was on Monday. It was not Over packed but it was packed very well, plenty of bubble wrap and tubes marked well as to where to put them. Talking to Ray on the phone was a real pleasure as I expected to be bothering him, you know how most people are about that stuff. A few things shown through during our conversation. He really loves what he does and is very concerned about his customers being happy with his product. He volunteered info on Tubes and power cords and how to start my initial setup. Very genuine person Ray is and it was a real pleasure. The weakest point of most products like this seems to be accurate or realistic reproduction of the lows. I can tell you this is surely not a problem with this amp. The bass is full of impact and is very smooth at the same time. Probably for the first time in my life I can say I fully understand what people mean when they talk about "Decay", this is much different than any other solid state product I have listened to. Notes seem to dissipate as they do in real life. For once the midrange does not over power the highs and lows like a 200 dollar receiver would. The sound is very balanced and realistic. I wanna say the sound is powerful and relaxed at the same time. Fit and Finish is top quality. The volume pot is very tight and smooth and a tremendous amount of time went into physical design that is not available in similar products. Justins stuff is beautiful but there is alot of three dimensional thinking designed into this amp for cooling purposes that is just fantastic. I always was fascinated with build quality as I grew up with a soldering iron in the house because of my father and the things his company builds (much similar to Rays stuff) and I give the Raptor an A+ on all counts. Im not going to do any comparisons as I don't have that many to tell about but if your riding the fence over an RSA product then I highly recommend you go for it based on my experience.

May 25, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 68
I agree that Ray and his products are top notch. I have the B-52 headphone amp/preamp and the XR-10B phono preamp and LOVE them. Ray, when asked what speaker amps to mate to B-52 to, turned me on to Cary. The combination of RSA B-52 and Cary V12R monoblocks are stunning. I am also eagerly awaiting his upcoming electrostatic amp.

A highly recommended company and man.

May 26, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 68
Wall of Text critically hits synaesthetic for over 9000.
synaesthetic dies.

On topic: One day I will be able to afford one of his amps. His work is gorgeous, so professional and sleek-looking. Looking hard at a Tomahawk to pair with my iPod Nano.

May 26, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 68
Yes, Ray takes the time to talk with you not at you. He has a true passion for what he does and is able to bring it to fruition and tops it off with caring customer relations.

May 26, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 68
Excellent choice. I had the fine pleasure of hearing the amp at a meet and it was glorious. This is one fine amp and it also looks tres chic with it's design. It looks great, it sounds great. It's a winner.

May 26, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 68
Great Man and Great Products, It doesn't matter if you purchase direct from Ray or used on the aftermarket, he shows the same courtesy and concern when you are a customer. Nice amp choice BTW!!

May 26, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great Man and Great Products, It doesn't matter if you purchase direct from Ray or used on the aftermarket, he shows the same courtesy and concern when you are a customer. Nice amp choice BTW!!

this means quite a lot. i'm still dabbling with different portables to decide what sound i like best. good to know that Ray treats all owners of his creations well.

jeff h

May 26, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 68
That's part of the deal; if you want to get into this hobby, you can expect to dish out a good amount of money for better sounding, better built, and better serviced products. Just be thankful you're not on a speaker forum.

If you've ever been to an exotic car dealership, you get treated differently than you would at the Ford dealership.

May 26, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 68
ray is a good guy. have spoken to him many times. he even rewired one of my headphones that i was having problems with. hopefully, he will be making amps for a very long time.

May 26, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 68
I've met Ray twice at the NYC meets and he is even more passionate in person. I remember him getting excited to let me listen to his Predator prototype and set it up so I could flip back and forth between his Meridian feeding it analog and his laptop feeding it via USB. Sometimes he gets so caught up when he explains things he stumbles over his words because he has so much to say.

It truly is a pleasure meeting someone not only passionate about what he does but so eager to share with others. The man is a true asset to the industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back