Ray Samuels XP-7 enough for HD-800?
Nov 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

RollsDownWindowsManually

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking at picking up a pair of HD800's and was considering the Ray Samuels XP-7 amplifier to drive them. Does anyone have opinions on whether or not this amplifier has the power to drive the HD800 to sufficient SPL without clipping even during dynamic peaks?

Also, if anyone has cheaper recommendations on an amp that can drive the hd800 I would look at those too.  I do not want a tube amplifier (no offense, just do not like the sound), solid state only please.

Also looking at the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.  The built in USB pre amp would be a nice bonus, though I already have a Line 6 toneport external DAC that works well enough.

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Dang, member since 2001? In that case I'm guessing you might not be aware of some amps that have come out recently like the Schiit Asgard 2 and Burson Soloist SL? Haven't heard the HD800 with them, just throwing them out there.

The DIY M3 is a great inexpensive solution for the HD800, IMO.

Btw, you do know that some tube amps don't fit into the tube-amp sonic stereotype? I could understand another reason, but not liking stereotypically tube-amp sound isn't really a valid reason to dismiss all tube amps. Plus I've personally found that the HD800 tends to sound better on tube or hybrid amps too, as opposed to stereotypical-sounding solid-state amps (even though I personally favored the HD800 on the HeadAmp GS-1 and GS-X, but that's because I have a personal preference for treble & holographic soundstaging when it comes to the HD800).

Also if you just re-entered the hobby, there's a meet in Austin TX coming up on 1/18/14 that should have a lot of gear: http://www.head-fi.org/t/678382/head-fi-austin-january-18-2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Back