Ray Samuels shadow amp needs service
Jul 9, 2022 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

joelk

100+ Head-Fier
My beloved Shadow is in need of service, probably a new battery. I've been unable to contact RSA. Does anyone have information about Ray, and has anyone self-replaced the battery?

Thanks.

Joel

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 8
My beloved Shadow is in need of service, probably a new battery. I've been unable to contact RSA. Does anyone have information about Ray, and has anyone self-replaced the battery?

Thanks.

Joel

Battery pack is readily available. I did pull out the circuit board; battery pack seems soldered and replacement by me would be inadvisable as I can break anything.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 8

Thanks.

Joel
We have not seen Ray in ages. He doesn't come to meets anymore - no show at Chicago CanJam for example. You are 50/50 SOL, I think.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 8
We have not seen Ray in ages. He doesn't come to meets anymore - no show at Chicago CanJam for example. You are 50/50 SOL, I t
The website is still up and emails don't bounce. I'm just hoping the Ray is in good health. Having done considerable online research, I'm thinking that the state of the art has probably surpassed RSA. This being said, I've had years of enjoyment from my amps.

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 8
The website is still up and emails don't bounce. I'm just hoping the Ray is in good health. Having done considerable online research, I'm thinking that the state of the art has probably surpassed RSA. This being said, I've had years of enjoyment from my amps.
My B-52 preamp was in need of servicing and I contacted Ray via his website information. He promptly contacted me and even called to review the situation and provide advice. I shipped the preamp back to him and he repeatedly kept me informed as to the etiology of the problem and necessary repairs. All this was done very expeditiously. He additionally updated the electronics and provided me with appropriate replacement tubes. These repairs were performed at a very reasonable cost given the amount of labor involved. The B-52 preamp continues to sound fantastic especially via my headphones. His build quality and attention to detail are superb. The audio quality of his gear has always been top-notch (as i have several of his products which continue to perform very well.) I don't believe the state of the art has passed RSA given the quality of his components and build. It's the sound that matters.
The aforementioned repairs were done approximately 8-12 months ago.

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 8
My B-52 preamp was in need of servicing and I contacted Ray via his website information. He promptly contacted me and even called to review the situation and provide advice. I shipped the preamp back to him and he repeatedly kept me informed as to the etiology of the problem and necessary repairs. All this was done very expeditiously. He additionally updated the electronics and provided me with appropriate replacement tubes. These repairs were performed at a very reasonable cost given the amount of labor involved. The B-52 preamp continues to sound fantastic especially via my headphones. His build quality and attention to detail are superb. The audio quality of his gear has always been top-notch (as i have several of his products which continue to perform very well.) I don't believe the state of the art has passed RSA given the quality of his components and build. It's the sound that matters.
The aforementioned repairs were done approximately 8-12 months ago.
Thanks for posting.
I've written emails to that address and have left phone messages at the phone number, all without a reply. I still have a bit of hope that he may contact me.
I agree that he has made terrific product, and all of my previous contacts with RSA have been exemplary. Then again, if he has fully retired, he could be out of replacement parts.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for posting.
I've written emails to that address and have left phone messages at the phone number, all without a reply. I still have a bit of hope that he may contact me.
I agree that he has made terrific product, and all of my previous contacts with RSA have been exemplary. Then again, if he has fully retired, he could be out of replacement parts.
I've given up on receiving a response from RSA, now searching for a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back