Ray Samuels HR-2 and Grado’s
Jul 11, 2006 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
After posting a few treads awhile back in my search for a new amp I threw caution to the wind and opted for a Bryston BP25P preamp (brand loyalty I guess) with headphone output, remote and an excellent phone section.
Prior to that I was using a Creek OBH-11SE Rev B which had IMO an excellent synergy with my Grado SR325i’s, great bass, fullness and coherency top to bottom , my AKG K501’s also sounded very good but the Senn HD580’s sounded just above average.
Now things have reversed, the HD580’s sound excellent out of the Bryston but my Grado’s and AKG’s have sort of rolled over and died, no life, no bass etc.
I’ve had my eye on Ray’s HR-2 for a few years and am curious on it’s compatibility with Grado’s and AKG’s.

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 6
I haven't tried his amps with the AKG. I've tried them with the HP-1, RS-1, PS-1, HF-1 extensively and others like the 225's at meets. Haven't gotten around to opening my GS-1000's yet. They sound great with the Grados though to some extent that will be guided by what you are looking for in your sound. They don't make the Grado's scream but it is a very pretty sound. That being said, I prefer the HeadAmp amps with the Grados, but that is definitely a personal preference and I would expect folks to line up on both sides of the fence as far as their preference for one or the other.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Rob:

I put on sale my HR-2. As far as you are in Toronto, I can borrow you the amp for day or two. Send me pm if interested.

I personally like HR-2 with dt-880, not with ms-pro.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 6
I am with G .... if you are going to go solid state and use grados I would look at the GS-1. The GS-1 is more transparent, open sounding and dynamic. The GS-1 also has several added featues like a gain switch, preamp output, loop out and two headphone outputs .... and finally the GS-1 saves you $125.

If you are not limiting yourself to SS the Singlepower SLAM PPX3 tube amp is fantastic with grados .... and just about everything else too .... including senn the 580/ 595 /600 /650, Sony SA5000 and the AKG 701; for essentially the same price as the HR-2.

Another excellent grado amp is the Mapletree ear+ but I prefer the SLAM to any of the amps mentioned above.

www.headamp.com

www.mapletreeaudio.com

www.singlepoweraudio.com

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm a Grado fan and held out a long time before making the plunge in tubes. The Headamp SS amps do a good job driving Grados, but the Singlepower tubes really make them sing. If you've never heard Grados on a tubed system, you really should check it out.

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 6
The HR-2 mates well with Grados (I have tried the RS-1, RS-2, SR-225, HF-1, and Headphile HF-1). The Grados are not overpowering bright and the bass is controlled with the HR-2.

However, the Singlepower amps take them to a whole different level. For Grados, I would definitely go tube amp.

---Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back