Ray Samuels Hornet vs. Portaphile V2 to go with the E500s
Sep 20, 2006 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LDMES

100+ Head-Fier
While researching which IEM to go with I have discovered like a lot of you that there is so much more out there and once you start improving what your music sounds like there is so muh more to do.
I have a set of E500s, which I have only had for a few days, but I am really enjoying them. While researching them on the Headphones Threads, I saw that people were pairing their E500s with Hornet Amps.
WHile checking out the Portable Rigs Pictures Thread, I noticed that there were home made amps and more.
Right now I am curious, I am currently using my Treo 650 as my mp3 player, but will be buying one of the new 80gb iPods soon, and I am wondering if I could have some of you give me your opinion on the following comparison:

Ray Samuels Hornet vs. Portaphile V2(There are several flavors of this amp, so if you could be specific in you post about whether you are talking about the Standard Config, Upgraded Config or Maxxed Config)

Also do you think that using an amp with my Treo(I understand it is not necessarily a Hi-FI mP3 player) would make it sound better?

Thanks

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 8
I own none of these amps and I have no idea which one would be best for you but I would like to offer some general advice:
You will find a lot of people here, claiming that at least an iPod sounds much better with good earphones (and the E500 are good earphones) and an amp connected through the dock line-out!
If you use an amp with the headphone out (I do not know what the Treo offers in this respect) the sound difference is not big enough to justify the price of any amp IMO.
So get the iPod first!
When it comes to the choice of an amp, you should consider your budget. If it is limitless (or you do not have to care really) buy both and find out which suits your needs and sound preferences best. You can then resell the other amp.
Nobody can really tell you what is best for YOU since only YOU will know what sounds best in YOUR ears.
If you are on budget like most of us I would recommend that you start with an inexpansive amp and some nice IC. The choice of an amp and its Opamp will make a sonic difference but none as big as for example the swap between cheap earbuds and your E500.
If you end up unsatisfied you can then tell us what your problem is and maybe someone is able to suggest what amp might cure your problem.
But without any reference and clearly stated sonic preferences it is very difficult to say "buy this or buy that". You might end up unsatisfied and losing some big money.
Hope I could help a bit.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES
While researching which IEM to go with I have discovered like a lot of you that there is so much more out there and once you start improving what your music sounds like there is so muh more to do.
I have a set of E500s, which I have only had for a few days, but I am really enjoying them. While researching them on the Headphones Threads, I saw that people were pairing their E500s with Hornet Amps.
WHile checking out the Portable Rigs Pictures Thread, I noticed that there were home made amps and more.
Right now I am curious, I am currently using my Treo 650 as my mp3 player, but will be buying one of the new 80gb iPods soon, and I am wondering if I could have some of you give me your opinion on the following comparison:

Ray Samuels Hornet vs. Portaphile V2(There are several flavors of this amp, so if you could be specific in you post about whether you are talking about the Standard Config, Upgraded Config or Maxxed Config)

Also do you think that using an amp with my Treo(I understand it is not necessarily a Hi-FI mP3 player) would make it sound better?

Thanks

I'd go with the Hornet. The Portaphile maxxed isn't sturdy at all IMO..I had to have Cesar fix my amp 3 times in one month!! Everything is fine.. & Cesar is GREAT to deal with..Clas act all the way..

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 8
An amp is the least of your worries. Get a decent source first, and the E500 will shine (sort off). If you really need an amp (as in: not necesarry at all), then buy the GoVibe 5. $75 for a great little portable amp. People really think an amp opens up an IEM, but imo, after hearing quite a lot of IEMs, a decent source is very efficient and 'll do the trick. The gain in SQ (as in: soundstage, thickness of the sound, etc.) is less than 10%. You just get more power, giving the illusion of better SQ. The way the music sounds won't change, that's what a source and above all a headphone is meant to do.

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 8
LDMES says,
Quote:

Ray Samuels Hornet vs. Portaphile V2 to go with the E500s

I have the little brother of the E500's, the E5's. I have the big brother of the Hornet, the SR-71. I also have a Portaphile.

The Portaphile I own is fully Maxxed. It eats batteries. One 9v will last about 4 hours. It is a good sounding and well made amp (metal case). It is the best "live" music amp of all my amps. With a live music source, this amp shines.

I bought the SR-71 and matched it to the E5's on a Ray Samuels recommondation I found in an audio review. The SR-71 is tank-like (I would assume the Hornet is of a similar build). From what I have read, the Hornet is the more portable of the two amps. I'm slowly coming around, but the SR-71 matched to the E5's is my least favorite rig. Too colorful for my taste. And this is an important point, MY TASTE. Not right or wrong, but my taste.

The one amp you have not mentioned is the Supermacro by XIN. The XIN matched to a pair of Ety's is my favorite rig. There is more than one person who would not agree with me.

HeadRoom and XIN both have smaller amps for around $125.00. I take the HeadRoom on trips and have abused the living hell out of it. I know nothing about the small XIN, but it has a good reputation.

I run a line-out from my iPod into my amp. I paid about $100.00 for a custom line-out cable. Money well spent.
etysmile.gif

EDIT:
Sorry:
Quote:

Question is: will the E500's benefit from an amp?

I think you need the amp and the line-out to make the E500's come to life.

Sep 20, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Question is: will the E500's benefit from an amp?

I think that you have to upgrade your player first, try them out for a while with the E500's. There is a good change that you don't even need/want an amp.
I was considering an amp as well (paired with my iAudio X5 + E500) but read a lot of postings of people who are seriously doubting the benefits of an amp on a portable setup. You don't need the extra power anyway because the E500's are very efficient. Also, keep in mind that you will add another piece of gear along with you.
Just my 2 cent.

Sep 20, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Own both the Portaphle, fully maxxed, and Supermacro III v6 awaiting my new SM from Dr. Xin. Also own Ety4p IEMs. Since these Etys have been compared favorably with your 500s, I would assume basic sonic similarities.

That said: Portaphile IS a battery-eater, but I'm using disposble Lithium Polymer batteries and get about 10-12 hrs. play time. There are also internal switching options to either increase or decrease battery life, altho some sonic signatures may suffer. Haven't used rechargeables yet. use the wall-wart when I'm not going portable, and my "portable time" is about twohours per day, so one battery lasts about a work week.

Sound is fantastic. I mean UNREAL. Problem is, you gotta have it burn in about 200+ hours for it to come really alive.

The SMIII v6 is also a good unit. Since it takes AAAs, and these last an awfully long time, portability is greater in that the batteries will go 25+ hours.
All switching is done from outside the unit. Put your rechargeables into the SM, youcan recharge/play the unit connected to the wall and never have to open the box again, unless you need to change batteries.,

OK, this is the next-to-last generation of Xin amps. The sound is CLOSE to the Portaphile, but I prefer the Portaphile, only because I think the sound ismore realistic. BUT, with the Xin amps you can also change op amps to change the flavor and I haven't done this.

Bottom line: I'd agree with the previous poster Buy both and sell the one you don't want or need. But if portability is your main concern, remember you need to change batteries in the Portaphile more often than in a XIn product

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton
So get the iPod first!

I plan to get the iPod first.

Quote:

When it comes to the choice of an amp, you should consider your budget. If it is limitless (or you do not have to care really) buy both and find out which suits your needs and sound preferences best. You can then resell the other amp.

I do have a budget, so which ever one I choose I want to have made an informed decision.

Quote:

Nobody can really tell you what is best for YOU since only YOU will know what sounds best in YOUR ears.

Quote:

But without any reference and clearly stated sonic preferences it is very difficult to say "buy this or buy that".

I know that sound is subjective, so whatever sounds good to you, may not sound good to me. I didn't ask anyone to say BUY THIS or That, I just wanted to get user experiences and opinions. There are enough of us out there, that those who have already tried gear, can share their experiences and allow others to make better decisions. I could have just read in one place someone who says I use this and buy it, but I decided to tap into this great resource and see what others had in way of experiences, suggestions and even recommendations.

Quote:

Hope I could help a bit.

Every opinion helps, and it looksd like there are enough people responding to this thread opening my eyes (or in this case ears) to other products out there, and to the experiences they have had with the gear which helps.

So I hope more people will leave their two cents worth, and that will make this thread even more usefull.

Thanks to all who have posted so far, and I look forward to reading new postings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back