Ray Samuels' Headphone Amps
Apr 17, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff Wellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever the standard color is. I don't think I was given an option, but it doesn't really bother me. Black is nice.

This TTVJ site is pretty great. If the Hornet delay takes too long maybe I'll order the SR-71 directly from him and then dare to compare. I've become disheartened by the head-fiers who say that the Hornet and the Etymotics don't really work well together (while the SR-71 and the Etys seem to be a match made in heaven, or at least closer to heaven than the Ety/Hornet combo)

Obviously, I am financially responsible (especially now that I've found this site).

If the Ety is your only phone seriously research the SuperMacro or SuperMicro IV. It's Xin's fav and it appears his amps are geared towards that phone.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #32 of 40
Yeah, ordered a Supermicro IV last week. Since I'll have time to demo probably every other headphone amp on the market before I get the SM, may as well do it right? Like you, I'm waiting, waiting, waiting (in fact, it seems as though I'm waiting for the exact two amps you're waiting for). I'm toying with the idea of gettings some K701s for bedside listening, so hopefully one of the RS amps can provide some synergy with phones like that...

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #33 of 40
I still don't understand the difference between the Hornet and, SR-71. Personally I think the tomahawk is awesome for IEMs, but one major flaw of it would be the bigger cans. It seems to me after using it for a while that you can't turn it too loud if you use large cans since it uses small batteries. The battery life is impressive though.

I really wanna upgrade my portable, and I'm set on Hornet or SR-71. I've read countless posts about how the Hornet is punchy, more detailed, while the SR-71 is more laid back, wide soundstage.

Could someone please explain in a more detailed way why would the SR-71 be justifiable for it's extra money, and in what ways it is inferior to the Hornet.

Also, personally.. I think the tomahawk is a bit TOO small for my ipod video. If I had something larger, it would be a bit easier to grasp
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff Wellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, ordered a Supermicro IV last week. Since I'll have time to demo probably every other headphone amp on the market before I get the SM, may as well do it right? Like you, I'm waiting, waiting, waiting (in fact, it seems as though I'm waiting for the exact two amps you're waiting for). I'm toying with the idea of gettings some K701s for bedside listening, so hopefully one of the RS amps can provide some synergy with phones like that...

Yeah, I guess we are
280smile.gif

I think anything + an RS amp would be beneficial per my research. As for a K701, it will be great as long as you're in bed alone. I have the HD595 which is an open phone and it is almost as loud on the outside as it is on the inside.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #35 of 40
For me, the only way an SR-71 would be considered inferior to the Hornet is the fact that:

- It has a FIXED gain.
- No built in charger
- Slightly larger size

Now as far as SQ, yes the RSA portable line share a similiar house signature, BUT there are differences. Long and short, if you prefer the jazz\classical genre go with the SR-71, Rock\trip-hop\R&B Hornet. The SR-71 is more spacious (wider soundstage), handles microdetails, and adds an "airiness", and I think it has better instrument separation and placement. The Hornet is (to me) more in your face, more aggressive mids and yes the infamous punchy bass, more than likely if your using DAP you're not going to hear the differenes as much, but the higher up the souce ladder you climb, it becomes more noticeable. The cool factor is that all of the amps are scalable with the source.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #37 of 40
When you factor in portability, quality of sound, flexibility in that you can use ALL HEADPHONES with it including IEMs and high impedience can's making it future proof when/if you needs changes, and excellent resale value should you change your mind or decide you don't want a portable amp any longer and value superior sonics instead, buying the RSA Hornet is a decision that won't leave you wondering if you made the wrong choice.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by newguru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you factor in portability, quality of sound, flexibility in that you can use ALL HEADPHONES with it including IEMs and high impedience can's making it future proof when/if you needs changes, and excellent resale value should you change your mind or decide you don't want a portable amp any longer and value superior sonics instead, buying the RSA Hornet is a decision that won't leave you wondering if you made the wrong choice.

Now THAT is a serious sentence....

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #39 of 40
If the question is which amp to get between the SR-71, The Hornet, and the Tomahawk then that is a tough question to answer.

Likely you will only know the answer if you search deep within your audio limits...buy all three and compare....

I am fortunate to have all three to compare. Each to me has its own sonic character. I could never imagine to elaborate more accurately or as intensely as others here have. I will leave it to the true experts to describe the sound.

At the end of the day, they all have their place in the lineup as I'm sure Ray envisioned when creating the products.

The Tomahawk is about portability and clarity. Good heavens the thing is so small it should be in Zoolander. The clarity is also stiking with the Tomahawk. This amp once burned in acutally rides a very nice line between the SR-71 and Hornet. Likely THE choice for IEM use, as indicated on the amp.

The SR-71...honestly I am on my third SR-71. I can't stand the thought of not having its sound accessible to me. Its not the amp I listen to the most, however, it is and always will be the benchmark of portable sound. Air, detail, soundstaging...that is the SR-71.

The Hornet...what can I say. If I had to pick up one and only one of the three then this is it for me. Of course its all system and preference dependent, however with an iMod, the Westone ES2 and a super duper ALO mini...it doesn't get much better. The Hornet can do it all. Three gain position switch, battery power, wall power, recharging circuit. I will say this. Although hard to accurately describe, the Hornet seems to have a better vertical picture than the Tomahawk. It also has a nice sense of bass presence and impact that the sR-71 lacks.

All right...way too much rambling for me...

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #40 of 40
Wow thanks a lot.. I want good sound.. thats all. I really didn't like my tomahawk's sound on any headphone except for my SF5 pro.

I want the best possible sound, so SR71 might sound better soundstage/details wise (the most important things to me) but Hornet has way better built in stuff like gainswitch right?

Ok, one crucial question since I already own a tomahawk. How is the hornet better? Sound wise is better bass, better soundstage??, better details?? what else does the tomahawk not have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the question is which amp to get between the SR-71, The Hornet, and the Tomahawk then that is a tough question to answer.

Likely you will only know the answer if you search deep within your audio limits...buy all three and compare....

I am fortunate to have all three to compare. Each to me has its own sonic character. I could never imagine to elaborate more accurately or as intensely as others here have. I will leave it to the true experts to describe the sound.

At the end of the day, they all have their place in the lineup as I'm sure Ray envisioned when creating the products.

The Tomahawk is about portability and clarity. Good heavens the thing is so small it should be in Zoolander. The clarity is also stiking with the Tomahawk. This amp once burned in acutally rides a very nice line between the SR-71 and Hornet. Likely THE choice for IEM use, as indicated on the amp.

The SR-71...honestly I am on my third SR-71. I can't stand the thought of not having its sound accessible to me. Its not the amp I listen to the most, however, it is and always will be the benchmark of portable sound. Air, detail, soundstaging...that is the SR-71.

The Hornet...what can I say. If I had to pick up one and only one of the three then this is it for me. Of course its all system and preference dependent, however with an iMod, the Westone ES2 and a super duper ALO mini...it doesn't get much better. The Hornet can do it all. Three gain position switch, battery power, wall power, recharging circuit. I will say this. Although hard to accurately describe, the Hornet seems to have a better vertical picture than the Tomahawk. It also has a nice sense of bass presence and impact that the sR-71 lacks.

All right...way too much rambling for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back