Ray Samuels' Headphone Amps
Apr 16, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 40
*sniffle* after reading these threads, I realize I want my SR-71 back, for a bedside rig!
frown.gif
It is truly an awesome amp for it's size and price!!
cool.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #18 of 40
Before purchasing my Hornet, I had the opportunity to audition (with the man himself) the SR-71, the Hornet and the Tomahawk, with both my DT990s and Ray's K701s. Source was my iPod (lossless files, through ALO dock) and Ray's PCDP. Other than power, I could not detect any difference in sound between the three. I settled on the Hornet becuase of features other than the sound (the internal charger [and ability to run directly off AC power w/out any battery], and it's ability to drve the DT990s to satisfying volumes at a lower level than the Tomahawk.

Admittedly, I have a pretty underdeveloped ear, and I rarely hear the things people describe in this forum (and frankly am very skeptical about same). If you ask Ray, he will probably tell you that he has tried to develop a "house sound" so that his amps are as similar to each other as possible. That is exactly what I heard. That being said, the mind-blower that day was listening to the B-52, with balanced HD600s (Ray's favorite can - even over the 650s), from his balanced Meridian disc player. It was like Ray's house-sound on 'roids - dead quiet background, super-fast bass, etc. I don't know whether it was the amp, the source, or the headphones, but that was
600smile.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sold it already???Wuao you are very fast!!!!!

frown.gif
I know .. I know... I'm currently seeking help for my condition!
frown.gif

It is a nice amp tho!
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #20 of 40
As someone who uses these portable amps a great deal, and I own 7 different portable amps form different vendors. None of them have the refinement of my RSA Hornet. It’s just a beautiful piece of work. For the size vs performance you can't go wrong.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 16, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif
I know .. I know... I'm currently seeking help for my condition!
frown.gif

It is a nice amp tho!
biggrin.gif

He he. Well I hope you enjoy the new one. How does it compare against the SR-71?
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #22 of 40
could someone post a picture of the SR71 next to something of known size? Say an iPod or in your hand, or a soda can or something? I keep thinking it's huge next to the Hornet, but I just realized how tiny the Hornet is.

Actually - any and all pics of eiter would be great!

Thanks,

GAD

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could someone post a picture of the SR71 next to something of known size? Say an iPod or in your hand, or a soda can or something? I keep thinking it's huge next to the Hornet, but I just realized how tiny the Hornet is.

Actually - any and all pics of eiter would be great!

Thanks,

GAD

About the size of a pack of cigarettes. Well to me ANY portable amp slapped to the side of an ipod is an inconvenience! Even a tomahawk would be a pain for to job with!
frown.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He he. Well I hope you enjoy the new one. How does it compare against the SR-71?
biggrin.gif

I hear slightly more details and more air (separation). But the SR-71 can definitely hold it's own against a number of amps! Once I upgrade my source I'll have a better idea!

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #25 of 40
As a SR-71 & ETY owner and occasional listener of the Hornet and Tomahawk I would suggest the following depending on your priorities: For flexibility buy the Hornet; for portability buy the Tomahawk; for sound - to my ears(or I may be biased) buy the SR-71. However rest assured unless you are sitting with all 3 in front of you doing endless comparisons it doesn't matter which you buy - you will not be disappointed because they all sound fabulous but in slightly different ways.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 40
If it's any consolation, Morph, based on the accolades you and others heaped on the SR-71, I wrote to Ray today to see if I could change my Hornet order to an SR-71 (and pay the difference). He informed me that he had no SR-71s in stock, so Hornet it is! I'm not too worried...

I am a bit concerned about this "end of the month" business I read earlier in this thread. I hope Ray's earlier email of him getting a bunch this past weekend is accurate.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff Wellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's any consolation, Morph, based on the accolades you and others heaped on the SR-71, I wrote to Ray today to see if I could change my Hornet order to an SR-71 (and pay the difference). He informed me that he had no SR-71s in stock, so Hornet it is! I'm not too worried...

I am a bit concerned about this "end of the month" business I read earlier in this thread. I hope Ray's earlier email of him getting a bunch this past weekend is accurate.

Ah, yeah, I forgot! The SR-71 was also affected by the parts shortage, the only way around that would be to get it from TTVJ (the vinyl junkie), besides with Todd you wouldn't have to pay the 3% paypal fee ($21.00 less). But, the Hornet is also a great portable amp! The bass is definitely PUNCHY!
biggrin.gif

GRATS!! What color did you get?

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #30 of 40
Whatever the standard color is. I don't think I was given an option, but it doesn't really bother me. Black is nice.

This TTVJ site is pretty great. If the Hornet delay takes too long maybe I'll order the SR-71 directly from him and then dare to compare. I've become disheartened by the head-fiers who say that the Hornet and the Etymotics don't really work well together (while the SR-71 and the Etys seem to be a match made in heaven, or at least closer to heaven than the Ety/Hornet combo)

Obviously, I am financially responsible (especially now that I've found this site).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back