Ray Samuels' Headphone Amps
Apr 15, 2007 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm thinking I need to stop fooling around and get one of Ray's fine amps.

I'm a bit baffled by the many choices though.

I'll be using them with HD580s and Ety ER-4Ps, so I'll need to support high and low gain. I want them to work on battery, and powered would also be nice. The choices seem to be:

XP-7 - maybe overkill, and needs additional power supply
SR-71 - Looks good but no external power
Hornet - Looks good
Tomahawk - Looks good for IEMs (will it drive the 580s?), but no external power

So it seems to be between the SR-71 and the Hornet.

Damn - just found this pic on 6moons:

3.jpg

Looks like the hornet is the winner. Is there a sound quality difference between the Hornet and the SR-71 that would make the SR-71 worth having over the Hornet?

I've read the 6moons review - I'm looking for other opinions.

Thanks,

GAD

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 40
Yes! I had both, and in my opinion, the SR-71 is in a slightly different league than the Hornet (more airy, better handling of microdetails, yadda yadda) ... other might say different.. But, I didn't mind swapping batteries since I used it mainly at home... the sound difference was worth it to me!
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 40
All I can say is that my Hornet, which I have only about 150-200 hrs on since I got a few weeks ago, just completely blows my mind. The gain switch means I can use it with IEMs and still drive the HD600 with ease. What this amp can do even to PX100's is totally astonishing.

I've been in a state of near-constant jaw drop since it arrived...all types of music. My main listening signal these days is Macbook to MicroDAC to Hornet, and I've been re-ripping my music collection as lossless or AAC 256VBRs...and I'm very pleased with the results for indie rock, electronica, jazz and classical.

Hate to just rave like this, but the Hornet is just incredible.

AM

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 40
For ER-4S you will be better off with SR-71 or Tomahawk. SR-71 if you dont mind the size and battery swapping. But for pure portability and excellent battery life, go for Tomahawk. And Ray himself has advised me that a fully burned-in TH (over 600 hours) will serve to drive ER-4S (and most IEMs) as efficiently as SR-71 (size to drivability ratio).

But I would not recommend The Hornet for ER-4S because ER-4 is already a bright sounding IEM and with Hornet's forward approach this may prove to hot to handle. Both Tomahawk and SR-71 have milder approach which suites ER-4 trait nicely.

But if you are really hardcore about Ety then Dr. Xin may be the ultimate option because Dr. Xin himself is a raving Ety ER-4S hardliner. And having have his amps designed around ER-4S will do wonders in synergy.
The good news is that Dr. Xin is in Production mode again after a long 6 months of Research Mode. And yes people will complain about Dr. Xin's turnaround practice but hey most of us can live by it.

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 40
I am a very happy Tomahawk owner. I use it mostly with my Shure E4C IEMs and for a small amp it sounds huge. I have also used it to drive my AKG K701s and on high gain the Tomahawk can produce good volume. I think the Tomahawk is best suited to IEMs, though.

Oh, and the Tomahawk runs darned near forever on a pair of AAA alkaline batteries.

--Jerome

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 40
What hasn't been said about Mr. Samuel's fine amps?! I have heard many, many amps. I also have friends that own amps that cost well over $1,000.00 - some tube and some solid state. I used to get mocked because I had a "cheap" portable set-up. Well, after rigging up the hornet to a switchbox and these awesome and expensive amps, people couldn't tell them apart and when they did pick the good one - it was my hornet. I have seen this done at meets and I have done it with friends. It's an amazing little amp and a give away at it's price considering the sound you will get. I use my Hornet with all my stuff. Look at my profile to see my other stuff.

Another plus side - you'll be buying a Stereophile Class B amp for under $500.00 - NOT SHABBY AT ALL!!!!

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 40
I have an SR -71, a Tomahawk, and used to have a Hornet, and I agree with Morph 201's description of the differences in sound.

Apr 15, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 40
This stuff is really addictive, I absolutely LOVE my tomahawk, but now I want to buy a hornet just so I can hear the different sound sig.
icon10.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 40
Thanks all - I have the ER4P - not the ER4S.

Can anyone provide any insight into which model might compare in sound/quality/etc to the Headroom Micro amp?

I know Mr. Samuels doesn't believe in crossfeed, but what about sound quality?

Thanks,

GAD

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 40
The SR-71 doesn't have a gain switch like the Hornet...so not sure if using high and low impedance phones with it would present any problems or not. My only reason for waiting on a Hornet.

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! I had both, and in my opinion, the SR-71 is in a slightly different league than the Hornet (more airy, better handling of microdetails, yadda yadda) ...
biggrin.gif

Totally agree, however in my opinion and specially with Etymotic IEMs I would go with the Supermicro IV, or the Supermacro IV.

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 40
If you like Grados then go with the Hornet. If you like Senns then maybe the SR-71 will be a better fit for you. The Hornet is more forward and gives you more in the face presentation. The SR-71 is more laid back and spacious.

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm thinking I need to stop fooling around and get one of Ray's fine amps.

I'm a bit baffled by the many choices though.

I'll be using them with HD580s and Ety ER-4Ps, so I'll need to support high and low gain. I want them to work on battery, and powered would also be nice. The choices seem to be:

XP-7 - maybe overkill, and needs additional power supply
SR-71 - Looks good but no external power
Hornet - Looks good
Tomahawk - Looks good for IEMs (will it drive the 580s?), but no external power

So it seems to be between the SR-71 and the Hornet.

Damn - just found this pic on 6moons:

3.jpg

Looks like the hornet is the winner. Is there a sound quality difference between the Hornet and the SR-71 that would make the SR-71 worth having over the Hornet?

I've read the 6moons review - I'm looking for other opinions.

Thanks,

GAD

Best Products anywhere at any price IMO!!!!

Keep up the great work Ray!

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 40
My vote goes to the SR-71. Had the Hornet, Xin's SM IV and a variety of others. SR-71 has sound clarity beyond belief, and is just portable enough to fit in my Headroom Minibag with Ipod. also excellent as bedside unit. And battery life is OK--not up to Tomahawk longevity, but not that short either. SO I'm trading slightly larger size and battery life for superior sonic performance with Ety 4, Vibes and Beyer's 880s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back