Ray Samuels Apache Vs. B52
Nov 5, 2007 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

shaizada

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry, this isn't the actual comparison
smily_headphones1.gif
But it could be....

Hear Ye, Hear Ye,

If there is someone in Southern California with a B52, lets plan to get together for some kind of review and comparison for the rest. I for one am EXTREMELY curious about the true differences between the two. It would also help the community. Winning situation for all.

I will be receiving an Apache very soon even though I was initially going for the B52. A great offer came up that I could not refuse
eggosmile.gif

Further, I am pretty much set on getting a B52 so I thought it would be a great opportunity to really listen to them side by side.

PLUS I really wanted to hear my UE11s through the Apache (low gain setting)....maybe get a special balanced cable made for the UE11s? hehe

I'm not sure if someone with a B52 is out here in Southern California, but thought I would test the waters by posting here.

Thanks!

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 28
i would love to see what your impressions are with the UE-11 and two RSA power house amps!

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 28
I had both and kept the B-52. I loved the sound of the Apache but found the B-52 to evoke a warmth and texture that can only come from tubes. The Apache is very dynamic and I enjoyed it's sound signature and tonal quality but in the end, the B-52 "inspired" me to enjoy all my favorite music more.

I don't live in southern Cal. so I cannot help with your request but I wish I could revisit the comparison now that I am listening with E9s and HD650s. They are outstandingly compatible with my B-52.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 28
The Apache works outstandingly with UE-10s. I, too, would like to know how UE-11s would work; I have been thinking about that myself.

It is possible that IEMs would not be a good match with the B-52. At one point I asked Ray Samuels about using one of his tube amps (not the B-52) with UE-10s, and if I remember correctly he said that because of the very low impedance of IEMs, tube amps tend to produce noise on IEMs that doesn't appear if you use regular cans. But of course it would still be interesting to test this.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Apache works outstandingly with UE-10s. I, too, would like to know how UE-11s would work; I have been thinking about that myself.

It is possible that IEMs would not be a good match with the B-52. At one point I asked Ray Samuels about using one of his tube amps (not the B-52) with UE-10s, and if I remember correctly he said that because of the very low impedance of IEMs, tube amps tend to produce noise on IEMs that doesn't appear if you use regular cans. But of course it would still be interesting to test this.

I've tested my Prophonic 2X-S with the B-52 and you can hear noise as low as 25% of volume attenuation. This is with standard tubes and fully expected. Tubes require too much current to remain quiet for such low impedance drivers.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Confirmed with Raptor + UE10.

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 28
DMK,

You are definitely a lucky person to be able to test them side by side. I truly hope I can have that opportunity as well. My heart is still pretty much set on the B52, but I don't want to pass up the opportunity to hear the Apache, especially with the UE11s.

The UE11s are nice enough that I could probably get rid of all my cans and not really feel like I would be losing out on the listening experience. The Apache should be able to bring out the best in the UE11s. Especially when I am planning to try and get a special balanced cable made for them....thats coming up next.

Darned choices! What is the world coming to?!

~G

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 28
Oh, I have another idea. Anyone want to ship their B52 to me? Now that would be something.

Maybe a good review would come out of it. If anyone will do that, maybe I can send them the apache so they can compare.

Totally shooting in the dark here! LoL

~G

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 28
I would bet that B-52 will win this game ^_^

BTW:Unfortunately..the shipping date of my B-52 has been delayed..
so i can't give any impression of B-52 until next Tuesday i think.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I have another idea. Anyone want to ship their B52 to me? Now that would be something.

Maybe a good review would come out of it. If anyone will do that, maybe I can send them the apache so they can compare.

Totally shooting in the dark here! LoL

~G

Don't take this personally but...

No way.
tongue.gif

However, if you read Ray's B-52 amp description, special design factors were taken into account when attaching the boards to the B-52 to enable less issues with shipping. Ray is quite thorough.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 28
Yes,i agree with your point.
Because he told me that he should do the 100 hours burn-in to make sure no problem with the unit. even the tiniest.
I don't want to rush time because the quality is the most important factor :p

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuchengxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would bet that B-52 will win this game ^_^

BTW:Unfortunately..the shipping date of my B-52 has been delayed..
so i can't give any impression of B-52 until next Tuesday i think.

Since we seem to be on a trading trend here...how about you take my B-52 and I take your CD Player.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back