Ray Samuel Amps
Mar 7, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #31 of 41
I'm narrowing it down to RSA HR-2 for SS and either WA6SE or Raptor for tube...not sure. What do you guys think? WA6SE or Raptor?

Are these tube amps high maintenance?

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentturbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm narrowing it down to RSA HR-2 for SS and either WA6SE or Raptor for tube...not sure. What do you guys think? WA6SE or Raptor?

Are these tube amps high maintenance like my gf? Cuz man...you know what I'm talking about.

I've always wondered if the headamp GS-1 was better/worse than the HR-2. Could never find a detailed comparison between the two. They are nearly the same price.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

I've actually owned both, although with a couple of years in-between them. My preference goes to the WA6SE, although if you decide to go Woo, ask Jack specifically if he can modify your WA6SE to accept 6FD7 tubes, and nab a pair of Sylvania 6FD7's. They were my favourite tube by far, and along with a decent rectifier tube took the WA6SE to another level.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #34 of 41
I bought both a stock WA6 and my Raptor at the same time (sorry, have never heard the SE). While I really enjoyed both, I just enjoyed the dynamic punch of the Raptor more. This decision was made using the stock tubes on the Raptor and with a Sophia Princess on the WA6. The Raptor is even better with some of the premium tube combos. What can I say, I'm a Raptor homer!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #35 of 41
The title of your thread is probably going to result in your getting a lot more recommendations for the Raptor than for the Woo WA6SE, as not a lot of Woo owners are going to respond in an "RSA Amp" thread. If I were you, I would start a new thread asing for advice/comparisons between the Raptor and the WA6SE. You might get better insights.

Personally though I would get the Woo. Having listened to both line of amps, I always came away more impressed with Woo than with RSA amps at the same price point.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #36 of 41
I'll probably order a Raptor from Ray Samuels unheard for my next amp. I was sold on RSA after seeing some photos of the guy in the Headroom website - He looks so damn genuine.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll probably order a Raptor from Ray Samuels unheard for my next amp. I was sold on RSA after seeing some photos of the guy in the Headroom website - He looks so damn genuine.

I met him at our local meet that we had. He's a very nice man with a nice family with very nice products!

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought both a stock WA6 and my Raptor at the same time (sorry, have never heard the SE). While I really enjoyed both, I just enjoyed the dynamic punch of the Raptor more.

The WA6 is a $620 amp, the Raptor is $1175. And using the stock tubes, the Raptor will come across as more dynamic - it uses 5687 drive tubes compared to the 6EW7's of the stock Woo6.

Which is why I recommended the OP to get a WA6SE that's been modified to accept 6FD7 tubes. To my ears they sound better than both the stock 6EW7's, and the Raptor's 5687's.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Might be selling the predator really soon =P

No no no no no!!!!! If you travel with any frequency, keep the Predator and sell something else. Life is too short to put up with bad sound on airplanes and in hotel rooms.

I'm in the same boat as you, trying to decide between HR-2 and Raptor. I've never been a tube guy, and I worry about tube amps requiring a lot of care and feeding, but I think the Raptor might be a better match for my new DAC (I have an Ayre QB-9 on order).

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #41 of 41
Thanks for the input everyone. I should start a new thread to take away the bias for RSA against Woo.

Burnspbesq, I do not travel that much so I don't think a portable amp will do me any good. I bought it to try out RSA, but my equipments (HD600) isn't suitable for lugging around. =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back