Ray Brown: another bass legend passes on
Jul 3, 2002 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Ray Brown died in his sleep Tuesday at age 75. He was known for playing with Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Ella Fitzgerald and many others.

I'm probably not well versed enough in jazz to pay him his proper respects but I've at least been fortunate enough to hear some of his stuff.

The CNN story is located here:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

Jul 3, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Wow! Another sad day in jazz. I found it interesting to read that he was once married to Ella Fitzgerald.
frown.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 6
That is indeed sad. I also remember when he played for the orchestra on the Merv Griffin Show back in the 70s and 80s. One of the best Ray Brown CDs I have is with him, Oscar Peterson, and Joe Pass. The jazz community suffers another great loss.
frown.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, I'm glad I got an opportunity to finally see the guy in person last year. Atleast It's good to see alot of these older jazz greats still performing well into their later years.

I actually just put on a Oscar Peterson Trio CD right before I opened this thread
eek.gif

People, don't miss an opportunity to see any of the still active jazz greats before they are gone...

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 6
This guy had something so good that everyone wanted to play with him. He also lent his talents to many, many partners, early MJQ for example.

Great stuff with Oscar Peterson also.

Thanks Ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back