Rattling in the left speaker can of my SR225i's
Sep 8, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 21
Well no of course not a vacuum. But even a gentle sucking can make a bit of a crackly sound which I assume is the driver moving. Seems to be no harm done but I'd like other actual experience responses.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #17 of 21
I've had my Sr325iS for about a month or so and usually listen at low volume. I developed a taste for Charles Mingus, thelonious Monk music lately. My set up is normally a Toshiba CD player Xr-P22. It is about 20 years old or so. It soundes terrific on these phones. I normally listen at level 2.5 to 3 at the most. I was outside a few days ago on my car and turned it up to max. I started to detect a "buzzing" on some of the low notes on the Bass. I thought at first it was a characteristic of the instrument, but it sounded to much like a loudspeaker not respondeding correctly at high input low frequency. I do get lots of cat hair round the foam on my speakers (15 cats give or take 3-4 any given day as we care for abused cats). I tried the light sucking sound and did hear what I beleive is the speaker moving, a light crackle noise. I was going to use a electronics vacummn (so glad I didnt...!) earlier today. I havent noticed the issue again, One hair did come to the grill. The light sucking does not appear to have impacted my headphones at all. I would recommed a very very light sucking and then tape to grab anything on by the screen. If this doesnt work, send them in for repair.
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well no of course not a vacuum. But even a gentle sucking can make a bit of a crackly sound which I assume is the driver moving. Seems to be no harm done but I'd like other actual experience responses.

Crackling noise while sucking is bad. The instructions regarding sucking are usually given incompletely and will result in this kind of damage unfortunately.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #20 of 21
Seems a lot is on the web about grattle and I picture lots of people with their mouths pressed against grados with their cheeks puffed out or in and possibly causing all sorts of mayhem.
The resulting crackling is the result in many cases from what i've read.
What kind of damage can results from the crackling sound?
Can it be subtle, such as a change in soundstage or change difference in frequency response? Can it result in a different sound, such as muddy or muted?

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #21 of 21
So, basically you want to suck (or blow) lightly on the outside (non pad) part of the grados? I'm also guessing that you should try not to cover the entire grill to avoid any kind of vacuum and damage?

This all seems a bit unclear to me, but I'll give it a try. I have a feeling it might be a good idea to just open these up and see if there is any hair or a "crinkle" although I'm not sure I would recognize it if it was there.

Edit: I decided to just go ahead and try the blowing/sucking VERY lightly on my ms1's. I did both because I wasn't sure which would work better, and I did it so extremely lightly that I was pretty sure there was no way it would actually help, but I was worried about causing any damage. So far...it seems to have worked, which seems beyond unlikely to me. Maybe it's just confirmation bias and I can't hear it right now, we'll see.

Oh I should mention that I also played music pretty loudly (actually at the complete max volume from my unamped source) out of them for a while, as I saw that advice a few places too. Not a very scientific way to go about things, I know, because now I have no idea what worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back