Rattling in the left speaker can of my SR225i's
May 2, 2009 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mr.chEn

New Head-Fier
I put on my grados today to notice a bit of rattling that accompanies the bass on my SR225i's, almost like a cone is torn or something.. but i know its not that because I just gave the left speaker a little tap against my hand, or the "fonzy" thing and it seemed to fix it.. but I have a feeling a problem like that will reccur.. am I right? im not really fixing to ship it all the way back to NewYork to get it fixed though my stuff is stull under warranty

May 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 21
Welcome to head-fi. No that is the (in)famous grattle or grado rattle. Most of the times a hair will find its way through the mesh and starts vibrating. That makes a mess of the sound, exactly like how you described it.
In a case of grattle I put my mouth on the top side of the cups and suck gently. Don't suck too hard or you will damage the driver!

May 2, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 21
Or you can gently blow! Man we could get in trouble w/ all this talk of suck/blow on a Grado!
wink.gif

May 2, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 21
Damn I am getting turned on already.
wink.gif

Look for any stuck hairs in the housing of the SR225i.
wink.gif
In fact, this do even happen to the ksc75, though another story altogether.

May 2, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 21
... or you can tap on it... that works for me and my grattle and it doesn't have the inuendo.

Wait... I just said "I'd tap that Grado"... darn it!

May 2, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourierMakesFunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... or you can tap on it... that works for me and my grattle and it doesn't have the inuendo.

Wait... I just said "I'd tap that Grado"... darn it!

I had a same problem with Sennheiser 201, when new, after a while, the rattle disappeared and now seems to work fine.

gychang

May 2, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head-fi. No that is the (in)famous grattle or grado rattle. Most of the times a hair will find its way through the mesh and starts vibrating. That makes a mess of the sound, exactly like how you described it.
In a case of grattle I put my mouth on the top side of the cups and suck gently. Don't suck too hard or you will damage the driver!

These Grado headphones sure sound kinky. How hard can you suck without damaging it?
tongue.gif

May 3, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 21
Sounds like "Grado Grattle" - which has been noted below.

And... I'm not sure how well... the various solutions really work... unless... you just "get lucky."

I've experienced it a couple of times...

... the first time, I "got lucky" and one of those techniques worked...

... the second time, I just returned them to Grado... and "voila" they were back, and free of "Grado Grattle" in about 2 weeks. That seems to be the the safest solution to me.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 21
This has been an experience in both my HF-1 and HF-2. Now I have tapped the HF-2 a few times and it went away. But the HF-1 does it everytime a good bass note hits on the right ear. Ill try both and let you know. Just sending mine in which are not normal models makes me worried they might change something.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 21
Wow! I figured my SR60's were history so I went out and bought a pair of SR325is to replace them. I stumble on this Forum, read this thread, tried the sucking method on the SR60's and now they are rattle-free! I should have read this before investing in the 325is! Well no, I do love my SR325is...

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Being serious here -

How do you know if you sucked too hard? When de-grattling is a sort of rustling leaf/crumpling paper sound ok? And would it be obvious afterward if the drivers were damaged just by listening?

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #15 of 21
You don't want to create a vacuum of some sort if that's what you are talking about.
wink.gif

Just very gently suck, oh wait, inhale and listen to your Grado to see if it still grattles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back