Rattling in D2000's (noob question)
Dec 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #16 of 21
Probably the safe bet, I just ran what I assume is the same bass test (first link off google) and no rattle both amped and out of my MBP.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #17 of 21
I tried the 5-100 sweep bass test. Is that the same site you're getting the bass test from? I tried both the MP3 and FLAC versions.

The D2000 can rumble literally. The metal half-circle yoke can also click on the circular metal piece that is around the ear cup if the cans get rumbling and depending on how the cans fit on your head. Perhaps the rattling you hear is the metal parts clicking or clapping together due to rumble. Try adjusting the cans on your head so the metal parts aren't so close together. Or try putting some tape on the area where they could make contact. Just guessing here. It would very much depend on how the cans fit on your head and how you position them and the size of your head. But when I tried to purposely get them positioned to make potential contact with the yoke and circular metal pieces I did hear what might be considered a rattle in the one ear cup. That rattle went away when I repositioned the headphones.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #18 of 21
I actually had a similar thought earlier, but I tried repositioning the headphones, making sure the screws were all tight, etc. to no avail. The sound is coming from inside the headphone itself, instead of something hitting on the outside. Right now I requested a return and I'll see how it goes

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #19 of 21
When I heard the rattle it sounded like it was inside the cup.

It's not the screws or the pivots. My best guess is the metal to metal contact the yoke can make with the round metal ring. You can try some masking tape up at the top to keep it from making metal to metal contact and try the bass test again. Metal to tape contact probably won't clank or rattle like the metal to metal contact.

For me it only happened in one ear cause that's the only cup that was adjusted to make the metal to metal contact. Do you hear it in one ear or both?

If you otherwise like the headphones I'd try to work out something to get them to not rattle. It's not a universal problem. I've had the D2000 for almost a year and never noticed the problem till just now. And then I had to intentionally try to position the headphones to get that to happen.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 21
I only hear it in my left ear, and it only happens once the headphones start rumbling. I was able to get them to stop for a few minutes, but I'll try adding some tape for a more permanent fix. I still have the option of returning the headphones, which might be a good idea to avoid using tape/other quick fixes. I can't lose anything by doing that.

If you don't mind me asking, how powerful of an amp do you need to power these? I have an iBasso T3 in the mail because I needed an amp that I could take with me when I needed to, but now I'm not sure if it was such a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back