rattle in my ath w100's
Feb 18, 2002 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

puck

100+ Head-Fier
i'm a newbie here. i had been looking around for some new cans and read all the praise of the w100's here. i live in japan now so i went down to the local electric shop and picked up a pair. i love them. they sound great, look great and are pretty comfy although a bit heavy. anyway, i've only had them a few days and when i turned the volume up a bit yesterday, i noticed that the right can has a nasty little ratter in it when the bass hits. the rattle goes away if i press the back edge up against my head. i'm wondering if i should take them back or has anyone else had this trouble and fixed it. i need some advice.

Feb 18, 2002 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 9
I have never had this problem with my W100. You could reverse channels in order to rule out problems somewhere else in your system and problems in your right ear. If the rattle is still there, I'd do as Spad says.

Feb 18, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 9
Puck, I have no such problem with mine.

The only noise issue is from the cord; the silk covering transmits sound when it moves on clothing.

Do you mind telling us the price you paid? I have a friend in Tokyo, and wondered about asking him to see if he could find the W2002 or a W100.

Feb 18, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 9
ya, i paid about 35000 yen (about $265) for them. i have seen adds in shops for the w2002's, w11r's, and w11jpn's. i haven't actually seen the sets there so i don't know if they actually have them or not though.

buy the way, has anyone heard any of the lower/mid level AT sets like the f55 or the t4? pretty much all the shops carry them here so i'm not expecting great things, just curious.

Feb 19, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 9
When you bring yours back, see if you can listen to the AD10 and AD9. They look like open cans built like the W100. Around $200 US for the AD10. Some of us are curious.

So if the ATH-W100 cost you about $265 in Japan, the Singapore AT price, shipped, was extremely fair (FedEx or USP express shipping to or from Singapore runs about $50).

You're gonna love these cans! But let them burn in for at least 70 hours.

Feb 19, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 9
i'll see where begging will get me but when i got the w100's, i asked about listening to them and they said no. i'll try to find some at a different shop and see if i can talk them into letting me have a listen.

Feb 21, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 9
Hey Puck,

Thanks for the word from the street in Japan. My brother-in-law is traveling to Tokyo and Singapore very soon and I'd asked him to track down the A-T woodies to see if they were cheaper than ordering direct from Mr. Chan in Singapore. At $265, the w-100's are a nice bit less expensive. Could you tell us the street price of the W2002, either from newspaper ads or in-store? I'm still not sure that they're what I'm looking for, as the Head-Fi reviews seem to be mixed at the moment, but I'd love to know what they go for. Domo arigato.

Feb 21, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 9
ii yo. the flier i have lists the w2002's at 100,000 yen. that's the list price though so its bound to be less than that. i haven't actually seen them in a shop yet, but i haven't had time to look either so... also, in some areas in tokyo, you can bargain at the eletronics shops so you may be able to get a better price than what i listed for the w100s or the w2002s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back