Rational reasons to love vinyl
Jul 16, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #378 of 612
Oh, whew! Had me worried there for a moment. After the moon landing hoax was exposed, you have to be a real idiot to fall for this stuff anymore.

se

Hah hah! The astronauts were Claymation!
What laypeople don't get is that Physics actually Broke when the Moon was in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligned with Mars. We've been faking it since then. You learn once you earn Level 3.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #380 of 612
I'll watch on the computer- thanks Steve.
Btw: part of the reason my audio is not shrill, thin, and with voices misplaced is that MY interconnects have No Resistance! Rather they have Acceptance!

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #384 of 612
  No recording represents reality but LPs are close, no CDs though. 

Yet LP adds so much that is not there on the original recording such as noise and distortion, speed instability, mistracking, mono bass at low frequencies..How does that fit in with a rational model of high fidelity or reality as you suggest, well given that LP cannot produce a perceptibly clean signal and cannot even give you back what was put in without adding layers of grunty, it does not. A CD player can give you an analog output that is an exact replica of the continuous signal encoded on the media it was fed, you can verify this with an analog scope if you like, No LP spinner can do this, again this can be verified with an analog scope such as in the demo by Alan Shaw, therefore LP cannot get close to reality QED. It does not matter how much money you throw at this the laws of physics are wholly indifferent.

Also the CD player adds so little noise/distortion as to be wholly imperceptible at normal listening levels

If you are interested in learning here is an interesting HA thread about the limits of Vinyl

In the above thread you will find images of extracts from the lead-out of Sgt Peppers which is a 15k tone, the tone extracted from the CD is notably cleaner while the extract from the LP has a whole bunch of spuriae and is substantially less well defined

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #385 of 612

Brightness: Too much high frequency or treble, also known as "digititis"
Thin:  is having little depth, being lean or not having a lot of body. Lacking resonance or fullness; tinny: Instruments sound small, not real. The piano had a thin sound.

So you're saying that digital playback that measures flat somehow knows when a measurement is being performed so it can put out a perfect frequency response, but as soon as it isn't being measured, it magically has too much high frequency?

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #386 of 612
So you're saying that digital playback that measures flat somehow knows when a measurement is being performed so it can put out a perfect frequency response, but as soon as it isn't being measured, it magically has too much high frequency?

That seems to be the contention!

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #387 of 612
Yet LP adds so much that is not there on the original recording such as noise and distortion, speed instability, mistracking, mono bass at low frequencies..How does that fit in with a rational model of high fidelity or reality as you suggest, well given that LP cannot produce a perceptibly clean signal and cannot even give you back what was put in without adding layers of grunty, it does not. A CD player can give you an analog output that is an exact replica of the continuous signal encoded on the media it was fed, you can verify this with an analog scope if you like, No LP spinner can do this, again this can be verified with an analog scope such as in the demo by Alan Shaw, therefore LP cannot get close to reality QED. It does not matter how much money you throw at this the laws of physics are wholly indifferent.

Obviously the LP does that because it is a mechanical device. It produces noises because physically is propagating, extracting or producing the analog signal as the needle hits the grooves in order to be heard. I expect that as normal.  A classical guitar for instance, sounds beautifully in the hands of a good guitar player, but still I can hear the noise when the guitarist rubs or moves his fingers across the guitar's frets! But that comes with the beautiful music that the guitar produces. It is possible that pro tools can remove even that from the recording but then it would not sound as an authentic Spanish hand made classical guitar.

The CD or any other digital crap, is an electrical device that attempts to recreate an analog signal or attempts to give us a representation or samples of what it thinks that it may be. In others words, lie to our ears, it mimics music badly. Also, the mastering engineers use pro-tools where they put or remove important info from the recording.  Besides, they make the recording so loud and horrible that can be listened just  for a particular intended playback, like radio, mp3s, playback in the car, elevator music, playback on portable devices that do not require a very demanding master for serious listeners like myself.
An analog scope or any other measuring data device does not measure, space, separation of instruments or vocals, imaging, tridimensionality, tonality, etc.  A guitar could be out of tune and the analog scope will not measure anything wrong with it.  It is up to our ears to judge that.

Also the CD player adds so little noise/distortion as to be wholly imperceptible at normal listening levels

Well, I have not experimented that.  All of them sound harsh, brittle, dry, thin, bright, unnatural and worse of all they are very loud. All of them give fatigue especially when listening for a few hours.  I have made comparison with gold CDs like the Glenn Miller orchestra that were recorded from original masters and still sounds thin. I have a GRP collection recorded from digital masters, I have the Rebecca Pidgeon Gold CD and still not comparison with the LP in general.  I'm getting on LP slowly my favorite music that I have in CDs.  I'm done with CDs long time ago.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #388 of 612
The CD or any other digital crap, is an electrical device that attempts to recreate an analog signal or attempts to give us a representation or samples of what it thinks that it may be.

In case you're not up on > century old science, the electrical signal that comes out of your turntable's cartridge is already quantized in the form of discrete electrons.

You stylus and all the all your records are also make of discrete atoms with finite sizes so it's not really "analog" either.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #389 of 612
If you are interested in learning here is an interesting HA thread about the limits of Vinyl Limits

Yes, digiphiles always praise the CD over the LP claiming that sounds better, cleaner, quieted, superior on any specs, yet it pales against the LP when played in a high performance home stereo.   For the Music sake! just listen to a high performance TT with the right home stereo gear and then open your mouth. This is a niche market, I insist is not for the average Joe or for the average iTunes guy.  Believe, you need to dump lots of cash. I have demo in my audio room $5k ~ $10k TTs and the music that these babies produce has no comparison with the brittle CD.  Forget about specs! There is always the Joe that is contempt with the crap unreliable chevy and the one that can afford a Mercedes Benz, Lexus, BMW, etc.  Heck! For reliability, even a Toyota is very acceptable any day of the week. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #390 of 612

Users who are viewing this thread

Back