Rate my source
Dec 23, 2006 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

spiN

Head-Fier
As some of you might have noticed in the amp forum I'm in the process of getting a rather budget setup going. However I would like to know your opinions of how good my source is as I have no idea. The CDP in question is a JVC XL-F152. It doesn't really affect my decision regarding amp, but it gives me an idea as to how my stuff stacks up against better sources and would give me an idea as to what I could eventually look up to.

Dec 23, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 3
I dont know about that JVC unit, but I haev one of the older JVC three disk DVD players that i used as a source for a while and when i finally got a good source i realized how crapy the JVC was. the transport was REALLY noisy and the analog out was really harsh/bright. But as i said i have no clue about your model.

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 3
At one time in my life I felt that the digital player was just handling 0 and 1 and that as such differences between devices would be less significant, than for example with a preamp or amp. After opening my eyes I have come to realize nothing could be further from the truth. Now days I find that the source is one of the biggest impactors on the performance of your system and can make or break a system all together. I have owned many source components from Wadia, Resolution Audio's Opus 21 with GNSC mods, Esoteric X-03 SE, Audio Aero Capitole and EMM Labs. The differences these devices make in a system are tremendous (assuming the other components are resolving enough to allow them to perform). In the end, I have found the EMM Labs stuff is by far the best, but also by far the most expensive of this bunch. I currently have a CDSD/DAC 6 combo. The Esoteric with VRDS transports are also first notch, but again at a price. From a cost to performance ratio and on a more sane budget, the Resolution Audio Opus 21 with the GNSC reference mods is tough to beat though. As a bonus it accepts digital inputs and has an analog volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back