rate my rig...and ideas please...
Aug 1, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
What software player program were you using and which upsampler?

If you were upsampling to 24/96, no wonder you were losing depth of tone and soundstage depth. I HATE 96kHz upsampling, and even though I've tried many upsampler programs (Secret Rabbit, PPHS, SRC), I always prefer straight 44.1kHz, which gives you much richer tonality, microdynamics, and natural resolution. BTW, why are you using 48kHz instead of 44.1?

for some reason, my M-Audio only does 16/48 and 24/96... I have to admit, though, i sorta miss the accuracy and width of 24/95... the music was simply much closer.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
for some reason, my M-Audio only does 16/48 and 24/96... I have to admit, though, i sorta miss the accuracy and width of 24/95... the music was simply much closer.

Even the lowly M-Audio Transit supports 44.1kHz. Trust me when I say you need to figure out how to get the M-Audio Audiophile to pass 44.1kHz bit-perfect signal to your Zhaolu.

IME when music is resampled to 48kHz, you subtly lose natural 3-D images while gaining a slightly dirty window to the music. It's definitely worth calling/E-mailing M-Audio Tech Support for!!

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Even the lowly M-Audio Transit supports 44.1kHz. Trust me when I say you need to figure out how to get the M-Audio Audiophile to pass 44.1kHz bit-perfect signal to your Zhaolu.

IME when music is resampled to 48kHz, you subtly lose natural 3-D images while gaining a slightly dirty window to the music. It's definitely worth calling/E-mailing M-Audio Tech Support for!!

nevermind, i had it at 44.1. As it turns out the M-audio software does NOT resample, but only increases the bit rate. what i was looking at was the "maximum" sample, not what it actually was.
What i am hearing is either 44.1 at 16 or 24 bits.

Aug 1, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I thought you said you were broke?
confused.gif

The Gilmore Lite is supposed to be pretty "Airy".

and the gs-1 is even more airy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL

HELP ME FUND MY MPX3!

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
and the gs-1 is even more airy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL

HELP ME FUND MY MPX3!

I cut out more cables from my computer area...ipod cable, moved it to it's charger, and some other stuff....this allowed me to eliminate the last hub and only have my M (for music) drive and my audiophile connected to my computer.... if anything, it looks better.

i'll look into how the GS-1 works with an HD650.

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #21 of 26
Thanks everyone... i'd like to report that with the new digital cable i'm getting a larger stage and more resolution. basically all of my gripes have been fixed (as far as i can tell).

Thanks yellafella for helping me with the reflection/interference issue
Thanks ori and lan for the power/digital side of things help.
Thanks Jon L for the M-audio help
And thanks to anyone who suggested anything...it'll make sure to look into it all.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Thanks everyone... i'd like to report that with the new digital cable i'm getting a larger stage and more resolution. basically all of my gripes have been fixed (as far as i can tell).

Thanks yellafella for helping me with the reflection/interference issue
Thanks ori and lan for the power/digital side of things help.
Thanks Jon L for the M-audio help
And thanks to anyone who suggested anything...it'll make sure to look into it all.

Good to hear. Ah, you were using a Monster digital cable, that was likely a weak spot, good call to replace. Amazing what a good digital cable can do isn't it. I'll bet the Ori mods sound nice.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 26
It is amazing what a little wire can do.

I still have many cables laying around from my super highend days when i use to spend $4000 at a time instead of $400.

Music has never sounded better sense i got out of spending so much money and going through so much equipment.That was an addiction not a hobby.My wife thought i was crazy.

I love the way ori's dac sounds.I can only imagine what it would be like running off battery power.I am using an elctraglide audio mini khon silver powercord going to the dac from a highly modified 12 amp transformer.

I am using a homemade silver cable for the digital coax.I might give ori's cable a run and see if i have any improvements.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #24 of 26
Okay, i'm back with something to complain about. I hadn't heard Smetana until now... and realized something i'm missing. I don't remember how long ago it was i heard this piece or what configuration i had when i did...but at one point they were there....

The triangles, for some reason these insturments that should be at the fore front of the sound, seem to just be added topping to cresendos and stay in the back ground right now.

any ideas of how to make them come back?

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Problem 2: as a woodwind player, I know what we sound like. What I’m not hearing is the type of airiness that’s often associated with a flute or clarinet’s sound.

If someone could come up with another possible problem or tell me what is the weakest link in the chain it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

As Ori can tell you, what you're describing is some of what I'd said to him about this Zhaolu when he let me try it on his speakers and my own headphone rig. I'm not apt to blame his output stage as much as I blame the AD1852, though, and this is something I've noticed in some other implementations of AD's S-D chips. What I'm thinking you need is a bit more energy in the <1khz range as well as maybe in the ~15-18khz range with *maybe* a slight softening at 7-8 or a bit above that. This is really a total guess, though, but I threw it out there for you to play around with since your computer as a source offers some EQ options to test this out with. I don't know what your music sounds like, so I'm just guessing off of some types of music I've tried this on. Possibly even having a little bit of even order harmonic distortion (oh no!) could help.

How to do it? Well fortunately, it doesn't have to be done on the side of the Zhaolu. The suggestion to reduce jitter (from lan) is also a good one, though the amount you can probably accomplish is probably limited...especially in terms of generating audible results. I have tested some various cables for jitter/distortion and it can make a difference, but not in a way that corresponds to price. For my DAC, some of the best performance I achieved was using an old Recoton stereo RCA cable on IMD and THD+N *shrug*. I couldn't really hear a difference, though, which is unsurprising given the magnitude of the difference. On the amp side, the Headfive's use of LM6171 might help somewhat in depth, but I tend to be pretty firm about my recommendation against the BUF634 and it's possible that it just isn't giving enough in this respect. daba tells me he's having a meet this Saturday, and I'll be there, so maybe we can see if something can be helped on this.

I felt Ori's Zhaolu still turned in a strong performance, though, especially for the price. As such, I suspect the amp is playing weakest link right now, although it could turn out that the Zhaolu is limited in this respect. Ori noted observantly that sometimes you have to make comprimises in design, and he seemed to acknowledge my observation that in this case the comprimise might be losing that bit of depth and what I felt to be realism or 'soul' to the instruments in exchange for speed and punch. Given his objectives, this seemed like a sensible comprimise to me, and indeed I make comprimises with my own DAC that don't entirely please me (e.g. I'd like to steal some of that speed/punch ;D). That said, a lot can be done to improve the situation, and the detail and speed I imagine is a pretty alluring quality, so the most felicitous option is probably doing something on the amp side if you're still unhappy.

Also, did you hear that piece w/ the triangles last time on your current headphones, or a different model?

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #26 of 26
Hi
THe last time i heard it, it was on the HD650.

i'm not in berkeley right now, so i can't attend the berkeley meets.

Yea...the amp is what i'm directly looking at right now...and yes, tubes are something i'm considering.

I tried the eq on my computer. When i opened it, i saw a controller for "preamp" and turned everything up just to find out.... it did make things louder. Now this presents a problem...
1. does this mean that i'm not getting all the bits unless i turn the 'preamp' on the equalizer to the highest? (thought this was only for the player's regular volume).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back