Rate and Discuss: My Christmas Haul
Dec 27, 2004 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fizzmix

100+ Head-Fier
Didn't see a thread for this...

Mods, if there is one, would you point me in the direction and close this one?

Anyway, here's the list of CDs I got today with Christmas money.

Beatles - Abbey Road
Coldplay - Rush Of Blood To The Head
Ennio Morricone - Cinema Paradiso OST
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Green Day - Dookie
Jam - The Very Best Of The Jam
John Cameron Mitchell - Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Pink Floyd Dark - Side Of The Moon
Pixies - Doolittle
Ramones - Ramones
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

Discuss.

Any recomendations based on anything you think I might enjoy by looking at this list would be much appreciated.

Dec 27, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizzmix
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

This one is the classic (I have the original vinyl -- well I have them all on original vinyl), but some of their recent albums have been more in this vein than in the pop/goo type vein. Anything beginning with Washing Machine and newer is like this.

Quote:

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

I find that the most satisfying JC is the stuff on sun records. There is a cd (the sun years) that can be had as a super saver recording that is great. The american recordings box set is also worth picking up.

Dec 27, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 7
If you haven't checked out White Stripes yet, you might want to give them a listen. White Blood Cells is probably my fav, but all their albums are good.

Also, if you like Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, check out The Soft Bulletin by the Flaming Lips.

One more banbd that's a little bit out there is the Squirrel Nut Zippers. It's a very retro sound, almost like swing or big band but it's got a dark edge to it. You can't go wrong with Hot or their Greatest Hits album.

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 7
I know and love the Beatles forever! If you didn't have Abbey road, it's a great album.

I've been listening to Johnny Cash almost as long as the Beatles, and Folsom Prison is a great album too.

I also just got the Franz Ferdinand album, and I really like it. I'm just surprised at how many tv commercials are using it for background, especially the guitar line from jacqueline for the Saab commercial. As a matter of fact, I liked the cd so much I gave it as a secret santa present!

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 7
of your list

the Beatles, Cash, Lips, Pink Floyd and Femmes efforts are stellar. Abbey Road is my favorite, but of course witht the Beatles you have lots more choices. I like the American recordings by Cash as well. The Flaming Lips' Soft Bulletin is marginally better than Yoshimi, but both are amazing. And the Femmes are just fun.

I would say the Coldplay and FF are not really in the same league as above.

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the responses guys!

I'm definitely interested in Johnny Cash's American recordings, and looked for them everywhere during the Boxing Day madness, but were not to be found.

Is the box set with his American recordings called Unearthed?

Also, I bought the Flaming Lips CD purely based on a recommendation. I've listened to it through twice already, one of the best blind-buys I've made, so I'm certainly going to be checking out Soft Bulletin!

The Beatles... Well, they're the Beatles! Not much to say about them I suppose. I really enjoy their stuff, so I'll get around to picking up the majority of their releases. Which should I pick up next? I've heard great things about Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's.

I hate the White Stripes. I have no idea why, but I only like a few of their songs. When I first heard Hotel Yorba, I sung, "1 2 3 4, throw this CD out the door."

Daydream Nation is my first foray into Sonic Youth. Which would you recommend I pick up next?

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Thanks for the responses guys!

I'm definitely interested in Johnny Cash's American recordings, and looked for them everywhere during the Boxing Day madness, but were not to be found.

Is the box set with his American recordings called Unearthed?

The American recordings were produced by Rick Rubin (whose original claim-to-fame was rap recordings), of which Unearthed are outtakes. I might suggest American IV: The Man Comes Around.

Quote:

Also, I bought the Flaming Lips CD purely based on a recommendation. I've listened to it through twice already, one of the best blind-buys I've made, so I'm certainly going to be checking out Soft Bulletin!

I think Yoshimi has better music but the Soft Bulletin is a better record -- not a mistep on the whole thing.

Quote:

The Beatles... Well, they're the Beatles! Not much to say about them I suppose. I really enjoy their stuff, so I'll get around to picking up the majority of their releases. Which should I pick up next? I've heard great things about Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's.

All great, of course, but I would go to the White Album next. Maybe work your way backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back