Raspberry Pi2 as Music Server?
Aug 13, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #91 of 101
  What to do if your DAC isn't detected by Volumio. Any ways around this?

What kind of Dac is not detected.

In Volumio system page, there is a I2S setup to select I2S dac.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #92 of 101
  The Pi's Linux kernel does not have the right device driver for your dongle.

Use a dongle specifically supported for use with the Pi.
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/raspberry-pi-wifi-adapters-xbmc-kodi/

b0bb,

I ordered the Wi-PI Wifi dongle and plugged it into my Pi2. It works perfectly. Now enjoying the music with wifi. Thanks!

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #93 of 101

What kind of Dac is not detected.

In Volumio system page, there is a I2S setup to select I2S dac.

My DAC is the Chord QBD76 HDSD. It doesn't have a supported Linux driver. Any ways around this? At the moment I bought the Digi+ and I'm going coax out.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #94 of 101

My DAC is the Chord QBD76 HDSD. It doesn't have a supported Linux driver. Any ways around this? At the moment I bought the Digi+ and I'm going coax out.

Nice Dac. I read that it has 2 USB. Not sure if the PI2 USB to Chord QBD76 HDSD will work with Volumio.

My setup is :  P2 (Volumio) - USB to iFi Micro iDSD and that works fine with PCM and DSD files. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #95 of 101

If it doesn't support USB Audio Class 1 or 2 standard, then no way around it. You're at the mercy of the manufacturer supporting your DAC for future versions of Windows and OSX too. (Of course, Microsoft still doesn't support Class 2 natively which is why high-res playback needs proprietary drivers for each DAC. See the various "What MSFT" comments on e.g. Schiit's website...)

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #96 of 101
It works on Low Def USB, but that's not ideal, I'm limited to 16 bit 44.1khz. I'll keep at it with my digi+ then. Since battery improved my sound night and day, I'm going to go iFi iUSB with LPS soon. Any better options that this?

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #97 of 101
  It works on Low Def USB, but that's not ideal, I'm limited to 16 bit 44.1khz. I'll keep at it with my digi+ then. Since battery improved my sound night and day, I'm going to go iFi iUSB with LPS soon. Any better options that this?

This sounds like the manufacturer is deliberately, and to me, incomprehensibly, shortchanging their support. Even USB Audio Class 1 supports up to 24/96. Bah. Some kind of marketing genius that my standards-addled brain cannot understand. I"m sure it's a great DAC and I hope you enjoy it. These kinds of games just turn me off (I'm a long-suffering Linux user and I have the scars to prove it).

Digi+ should be good though, I'm getting one myself, mainly so I can easily plug in my laptop to my Modi2U (optical from TV, coax from Raspi). I assume you're getting all the bits through with Digi+?

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #98 of 101
Doesn't handle the 24/192 files well; mixed bag. Sometimes stutters, have to reboot, then hopefully it works.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #99 of 101
  Doesn't handle the 24/192 files well; mixed bag. Sometimes stutters, have to reboot, then hopefully it works.

If the problem with the RPi give PicorePlayer a try, burn the image into a separate microSD card and boot the RPi off that.
PicorePlayer supports the HiFiBerry and I have used it to playback 24/352 DXD files without any problems, dropouts or stutter.

It needs Vortex box or something with the Logitech Media Server built in.

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #100 of 101

My Rpi2 have no issues with 24/192 files, even DSD files on a flash drive via USB, and this is a stock Rpi2(with runeaudio) straight from the analog hp out(i2s dac still on the way).

I won't say I like the sound from the hp out(lots of noise at any volume <100), but all the files have been able to play without lag/stuttering. Without an outboard DAC, I believe the Rpi2 is downsampling on the fly, so being able to still playback smoothly is quite impressive.

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #101 of 101
Yeah, Rpi2 should have no trouble. Playing music is not cpu-intensive at all.

I've had some trouble using some distros on Rpi original-B. Mostly because the I/O over USB can get congested if you're using a local USB disk, USB DAC, USB wifi, and ethernet (which also uses the same bus as USB AFAIK). mpd is kind of braindead in how it indexes music files and this can cause hiccups (Volumio uses mpd).

I can second PiCorePlayer - it's basic but works really well even on the feeble original Pi. Even support Airport streaming. You just need to have Logitech Media Server aka squeezebox running somewhere. It can be installed on some commercial NAS devices, which might be an easy way to go. Rpi2 could easily run it locally on the same machine. Another cheap option is HP Stream mini, could just plugin a USB disk full of files to that. Very low power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back