Raptor owners
Apr 16, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 21
It hums loudest when first turned on, then becomes quieter. It is always audible through my headphones when music isn't playing though.

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 21
The hum was present in my Raptor aswell, it was annoying at start but a hum is to be expected from the power supply. Great amp all the same.

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 21
I get more of a "hum" noise at start-up. Then until I read the post I didn't really notice it after start-up. I have to get my ear within about six inches until I hear it (with my headphones off my head). Since I sit about 6 or so feet away from my equipment whatever small noise the power supply makes is of no consquence. Heck, the other day I thought I heard something and it turned out to be my laptop fan, not the headphone associated equipment. Of course your hearing could be better than mine.

Depending on your set-up I suppose you could move the power supply, but it is a short tether as compared to the HR-2.

Call Mr. Samuels. He is a great guy, and will assist you. I called him with a problem, that turned out to be my failure to properly seat the tubes. He patiently walked me through a diagnosis, and then figured out how to fix it. Even had me call him back to let him know if the fix took. Like I said a great guy, and I'll add that he stands by his products.

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 21
The hum was faint and ever present in my power supply when music was playing aswell. I am sure Ray will sort your power supply out, he is a stand up guy and was very helpful when I contacted him.

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
A hum is not to be expected from a well-designed power supply.

Not true. It depends on what type of transformer is used. The Raptor has a very well designed and executed power supply.

The hum should be very faint and should not be heard through the headphones. If close enough, you might be able to hear it even with your headphones on, particularly open phones, but not through them. If you are getting hum through your headphones, you should call Ray. Also, if the power supply is suddenly louder than it used to be, call Ray.

Apr 16, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 21
Make sure the power supply's rubber feet are securely tightened to the chassis. Then check that power supply is stable while resting on a flat level surface so that when you take your hand/finger and press on any of the power supply’s corners it does not rock or exhibit any movement. If it does move adjust the rubber feet until it has a balanced and secured footing and that should help reduce the vibration, but you should try and keep the rubber feet as tight as possible. When I had the Raptor within seconds after the amp powered on the vibration was negligible and then after a few minutes of warm-up almost completely unnoticeable unless I put my ear very close to the chassis.

You should also check and if necessary take the same preventive steps with the Raptor’s amplifier chassis so that it is completely balanced and has a secured footing as well on your flat and stable surface. This should reduce vibration. If all else fails, contact Ray.

Apr 16, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin
It hums loudest when first turned on, then becomes quieter. It is always audible through my headphones when music isn't playing though.

You should never hear hum through the headphones.
plainface.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 21
I have no hum on my Raptor, either listening to the boxes, or thru the headphones.

Now the amplifier box and knob do get pretty hot, but there is not a hum.

My Raptor is fairly new (couple months), and I hear this was a problem in the original design, solved with isolation of some of the parts. This has been mentioned before, and discussed back in the early days of the Raptor's release.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 21
Interesting thread that came up at the right time for me.

While there seemed to be a hum issue with earlier sets, I understood that it was already resolved in recent production runs.

Would any new owner share some thoughts on the matter?

I was also wondering if there should be any differences in units running on either 110v or 230v?

I am very tempted to take the plunge on the Raptor (given my positive experiences with Ray's portables), but hope that someone can give a definitive answer on whether hum is still an issue with current Raptors?

As I live halfway across the world, it would not be fun to receive a set that is not totally silent
confused.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln
Interesting thread that came up at the right time for me.

While there seemed to be a hum issue with earlier sets, I understood that it was already resolved in recent production runs.

Would any new owner share some thoughts on the matter?

I was also wondering if there should be any differences in units running on either 110v or 230v?

I am very tempted to take the plunge on the Raptor (given my positive experiences with Ray's portables), but hope that someone can give a definitive answer on whether hum is still an issue with current Raptors?

As I live halfway across the world, it would not be fun to receive a set that is not totally silent
confused.gif

The first 20 Raptors had problem with the MECHANICAL vibration type of noise as the transformers were soldered to pc brd, in getting in touch with the manufacturers of the power transfermers they cleared few things to me & I have been shipping since, all power supply with that improvement that I was adviced. Being very small chassis for the power supply, as I wanted to have very small foot prints for the Raptor, there were no toroidal small enought to fit in the chassis. This was the only one I could find to get in & do the job well. I did recall back all those first 20 Raptors which were sold in the first run, there were some headfiers who did not send their Raptors as they claimed it did not bother them. All the new ones are done right with proper treatment according to manufacturer of the transformers.
The little noise that the above friends are talking about is when you really put your ear right on top plate of the transformer to listen to it. try to do that with your big amplifyers, or power conditioners, these components also give little buzz or mechanical vibration as they are made out of coil & metal plates.
The vibration or humm that your calling it, does NOT transmit to your headphones through your circuit, as your headphones should be absuletly DEAD QUITE, If you happen to have a problem like that then there is some thing wrong with your connections, source or interconnectors.
If it happens that you have a Raptor with the last 2 #s are 20 & below which has not been updated, & you happen to buy it from some one, then you should send it to me with free of charge update parts & labor.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back