RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Oct 11, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #632 of 831
Sounds great bro! I can't wait to hear your impressions/comparisons of the two.. :)
Any further info on the SM vs Hook-x comparison? Seriously interested in the opinions.
TL;DR: My preference is the SM though I do like the Hook -X especially for pop, rock and small group jazz. In a direct comparison, the Hook-X is more U-shaped. The SM is more W-shaped.

You can recognise the planar sound in both and they sound very similar. It is only when I a/b both that I can really pick up the differences.

Treble: SM > Hook-X
Bass: SM = Hook-X (though Hook-X decay is slower so on some tracks there is slight bloat)
Mids: SM > Hook-X
Detail: SM > Hook-X
Soundstage width: SM > Hook-X
Soundstage depth: SM > Hook-X
Timbre: Hook-X > SM

The Soundstage width of the Hook-X is smaller when you a/b with the SM. It is by no means small or in your head.

Soundstage depth on the SM is deep enough that I am able to discern the stage and where instruments are placed especially for a symphony orchestra. On the Hook-X it is flat.

The mids of the Hook-X is more recessed than the SM. Vocals sound more distant.

For violins, I am discerning more grit compared to the SM. However, overall, I prefer the timbre of the Hook-X especially for classical music.

The SM is a detail monster. This is the forte of the SM.

For my comparison, I listened to jazz (Pat Metheny and Macy Gray), electronic (Yosi Horikawa), rock (Dire Straits) and classical (Mahler Symphonie No 1 played by the Budapest Symphony).

The SM was paired with Dunu Blanche and the Hook-X with the Dunu Viridian.

My source was Shanling M7 > Aroma A100TB.

Hope this is helpful. As usual, YMMV!

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #635 of 831
TL;DR: My preference is the SM though I do like the Hook -X especially for pop, rock and small group jazz. In a direct comparison, the Hook-X is more U-shaped. The SM is more W-shaped.

You can recognise the planar sound in both and they sound very similar. It is only when I a/b both that I can really pick up the differences.

Treble: SM > Hook-X
Bass: SM = Hook-X (though Hook-X decay is slower so on some tracks there is slight bloat)
Mids: SM > Hook-X
Detail: SM > Hook-X
Soundstage width: SM > Hook-X
Soundstage depth: SM > Hook-X
Timbre: Hook-X > SM

The Soundstage width of the Hook-X is smaller when you a/b with the SM. It is by no means small or in your head.

Soundstage depth on the SM is deep enough that I am able to discern the stage and where instruments are placed especially for a symphony orchestra. On the Hook-X it is flat.

The mids of the Hook-X is more recessed than the SM. Vocals sound more distant.

For violins, I am discerning more grit compared to the SM. However, overall, I prefer the timbre of the Hook-X especially for classical music.

The SM is a detail monster. This is the forte of the SM.

For my comparison, I listened to jazz (Pat Metheny and Macy Gray), electronic (Yosi Horikawa), rock (Dire Straits) and classical (Mahler Symphonie No 1 played by the Budapest Symphony).

The SM was paired with Dunu Blanche and the Hook-X with the Dunu Viridian.

My source was Shanling M7 > Aroma A100TB.

Hope this is helpful. As usual, YMMV!
Thank you bro! I it sounds like the SM are more analytical overall than the Hook-X. I might pass for now because I don't really need any more analytical sets. I think that if the staging weren't so big and sounds coming from.... everywhere, the Hook-X just might not be as exciting to me (they might be more like a smoother Timeless). The fact that you are saying the staging is bigger on the SM, makes me interested though.

I still find the iBasso IT-07 bigger (all around) than anything but open back headphones (in my collection).
What is an SM?
Campfire Audio Supermoon planar IEMs.
@yapps66.... Thank you for the detailed comparison. The $64 question is then are the SM (Supermoon) worth the price difference compared to the Hook-X..... in your opinion
Great question! I was thinking the same thing, though it sounds more like apples to oranges (other than having the planar speed and bass), where one is more fun/emotional and the other one more analytical/fun...

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #636 of 831
@yapps66.... Thank you for the detailed comparison. The $64 question is then are the SM (Supermoon) worth the price difference compared to the Hook-X..... in your opinion
It ultimately depends on your library and collection. I have no issues keeping both as they offer a slightly different playback of my music. The Hook-X is certainly the easier to listen of the two and since it is less revealing, potentially the less fatiguing (though I have not yet been fatigued by the SM). The other thing to consider is that the SM is only available in custom though there is rumour that they may release universals in the future once they have finished their customs order.

It this hobby, the higher up the price range you go, the changes are incremental and for some, that is the holy grail. For others, the Hook-X more than satisfies.

My suggestion is to try to hear them for yourself if you can.
Thank you bro!
Most welcome! I had fun doing the comparison!

it sounds like the SM are more analytical overall than the Hook-X
Yes. SM is really a detail monster and the proverbial “hearing things never heard before” applies.

Oct 12, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #637 of 831
Has anyone had an issue with the Hook-X where, when you first plug them in and start playing the sound from one side slowly dies away to nothing (silent)? And if you unplug them for a few seconds, then try again it is fine?

Myself and @FranQL have both noticed this behavior and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen?!
I had this issue. Right channel would fade out to nothing. I exchanged them for another set through Amazon. I’ve had the replacement set for several months with no issue. I actually had to go through two malfunctioning sets before getting one with no issue. Interestingly, the two bad sets arrived with no shrink wrap around the box. Not sure why that was the case but worth noting.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #638 of 831
Just some snaps on my solution to get a good angle of insertion for my ears. I hunted for a cable with a right angle 2 pin which I received today. So far it fits fantastically and stays in place when out and about. The cable is the shuoer m10/11 which was more expensive than what I wanted to pay but i like the sound of the hook x and thought to double down on it rather than getting another iem.

PS - I leave the dongles permanently attached to my iems (as an extension of the cord) because its all about that convenience!

Attachments

• 20221013_155715.jpg
    20221013_155715.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221013_153349.jpg
    20221013_153349.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 13, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #639 of 831
I had this issue. Right channel would fade out to nothing. I exchanged them for another set through Amazon. I’ve had the replacement set for several months with no issue. I actually had to go through two malfunctioning sets before getting one with no issue. Interestingly, the two bad sets arrived with no shrink wrap around the box. Not sure why that was the case but worth noting.
Interesting. So you had the same issue with two pairs?

I have not had the issue again since I posted about it, so I am not sure what it was, but at this point, I would have to send them to China for repair/replacement, so I will just wait and see if they fail (or not)...

Mine had shrink wrap on it. That is also something interesting.
Just some snaps on my solution to get a good angle of insertion for my ears. I hunted for a cable with a right angle 2 pin which I received today. So far it fits fantastically and stays in place when out and about. The cable is the shuoer m10/11 which was more expensive than what I wanted to pay but i like the sound of the hook x and thought to double down on it rather than getting another iem.

PS - I leave the dongles permanently attached to my iems (as an extension of the cord) because its all about that convenience!
Looks good!

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #640 of 831
Interesting. So you had the same issue with two pairs?
I didn’t have the same issue with both pairs. The first pair had the issue of losing sound. The second issue has what sounded like driver flex, every time I barely moved my head.

Both of those arrived without shrink wrap. The third pair that is flawless thus far arrived with shrink wrap. All there were purchased through Amazon.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #641 of 831
I didn’t have the same issue with both pairs. The first pair had the issue of losing sound. The second issue has what sounded like driver flex, every time I barely moved my head.

Both of those arrived without shrink wrap. The third pair that is flawless thus far arrived with shrink wrap. All there were purchased through Amazon.
That is indeed very interesting. I also ordered mine through Amazon. I wonder if they sold you some used sets that were already returned for the same reasons?!

Well, it is good to hear that you have a set that has no issues at all. :)

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #642 of 831
I found my Hook X left channel losing sound yesterday, but can still make it to work by switching wear position. Today, it seems to be completely death with no sound. While feeling so hopeless, and I found there is a peel off from the tip I use. I take it out and voila, my left channel just alive ! It seems there is a short circuit causing the bone conduction malfunction.

Screenshot_20221016-101043.png

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #643 of 831
I found my Hook X left channel losing sound yesterday, but can still make it to work by switching wear position. Today, it seems to be completely death with no sound. While feeling so hopeless, and I found there is a peel off from the tip I use. I take it out and voila, my left channel just alive ! It seems there is a short circuit causing the bone conduction malfunction.

Screenshot_20221016-101043.png
Contact the seller! I am sure they can help you to fix it!

Oct 15, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #644 of 831
Contact the seller! I am sure they can help you to fix it!
You are right, my left channel sounds fading with a bit lower volume than the right channel after careful listen. My fingers touch the right channel shell that wont alter the sounds, but it does for the left channel. I thought its normal caused its a bone conduction. It seems my left channel has the conducting problem since the beginning :sweat:I have to contact my seller !

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #645 of 831
You are right, my left channel sounds fading with a bit lower volume than the right channel after careful listen. My fingers touch the right channel shell that wont alter the sounds, but it does for the left channel. I thought its normal caused its a bone conduction. It seems my left channel has the conducting problem since the beginning :sweat:I have to contact my seller !
Did you try and unplug it for a minute or so, then plug it back in? This is what fixed the issue for me, but it also sounds like a different problem from what I was having.

These are not bone conducting so that wouldn't be an issue, but there are indeed two drivers in this. Sounds like one is shorting out (like you said) and moving it around might be showing it to be inconsistent (loose but not broken wire???). I agree with @yaps66 in that you should contact the seller and possibly have it exchanged.

Do let us know how it goes for you?! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back