Rap "too simple"? If Classical is 10 and Rap is 1, where is Rock?
Jul 20, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #31 of 50
Are you kidding? I'm supposed to actually DECIDE on a number 1-10, when I could just choose ICE CREAM?

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I like country, not a ton of it, but I like country. Although most of the stuff I like is more correctly termed pop country.

Yeah, exactly.

I lived in Iowa long enough to appreciate the likes of Shania Twain, Leann Rhymes, Jewel, and others of their ilk, but pure, old-fashioned country?

I can't do it, captain!

I don't have the power!

-Matt

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #33 of 50
I think his idea was on a Simple-------->Complicated scale, if Rap is 1 and Classical is 10, where is rock?

However, even meant this way, it is a question which has no real sense in itself. As much as people may believe rap is "simple", I'd sure like to see those people do half the work a rap producer/DJ/MC does. It would be pretty awful is what I think.

Classical is indeed complex, musically and instrumentally, but I've yet to hear a single classical piece that has as much heart and feeling as some rock songs.

Point is, music genres aren't comparable, if not for the fact they're all music. Trying to figure out which is "best" or "better" will get you nowhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #34 of 50
"Rock" has many sub-genres, I guess "Metal" is one, and it's got some sinister compositions which make classical composers turn in their graves because they are so technical that it's crazy...

but besides that, bands like Nirvana and all the 100,000,000,000 like them drag it WAY down to around 6-7.

I'll say that since Rap is usally a performer followed by a track playing behind him/her, and rock is usually a band playing that it's automatically half way, since it's in-between one guy and an orchestra, lol.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
How the hell is ice cream relavent at all?
The option of Ice Cream did nothing but drag the poll down with people who felt the need to vote for it.

its funny that you tried to find a deeper meaning in ice cream

its meant to be a pointless answer to a pointless poll

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Well, I was going to allow this to run for 24 hours before commenting, however as a good chunk of the responses have already seemingly skipped my initial post, let me clarify. Please take this threads question as "truly prejudiced and shameful", "incredibly stupid" or "unfair" as is its premise. If all Rap is classified as X, within the big scheme of things what is all Rock? At least on Head-Fi, Classical and Jazz fans do not regularly dismiss Rock. That cannot be said for some Rock fans towards Rap.* What is the difference? This poll is trying to reveal a possible clue on that.

A couple of other points.

As much as members may not like Classical Music, as far as I know the genre has never been questioned here as music, nor is it often stated as being 'talentless' or 'useless'. I'm assuming that there is some respect for the genre independent of personal listening habits**. That seems not the case always with Rap.

Tech2 stated "Cause it's all about personal taste in music... That doesn't necessarily mean that rap is technically inferior, just not well liked as a genre." This is false. A great many of the criticisms by members here specifically state this premise in one form or another. Again I'm curious about that.

[size=x-small]
* In fact if memory serves some primary Rock fans at Head-Fi dislike Rap more than Rap, Jazz or Classical fans seems to have animosity towards any of the other genres. Why?

** For those that are going to rate 'complexity' based on 'what I like to listen to', please reconsider. [/size]

I guess then I'd either rate all genres as a 10 or all of them as a 1. All have their bombs, and all have their masterpieces. Some masterpieces of each genre don't appeal to me, even though I happen to like all 3 of your general genres and many others, but my opinion isn't the only opinion. No person's opinion is. I think if this board appealed to a broader audience you'd have a lot more rap supporters, but it doesn't...

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
its funny that you tried to find a deeper meaning in ice cream

its meant to be a pointless answer to a pointless poll

I didnt try to find a deeper meaning in ice cream, but people voting for it does nothing but screw up the results of the poll.

Not that the poll wasnt screwed up in the first place, since so many people are pointing out that there are complex and simple music in each genre.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #39 of 50
Well, it's been over a day and thanks for the responses everyone. It seems pretty clear from the majority of the responses, that many thought I somehow approved of the legitimacy of these rankings or the positioning of Rap (note the quotes in the title) and the status of it of late on Head-Fi. I don't, but on those last points I wanted to find out a little more about the opinions of those that do. Since they are overwhelmingly Rock fans, I was curious what they thought of their home field. I happen to think "Classical" is far more diverse than many of those in this thread may (far more than Rock in complexity and diversity, though it may sound alike from the outside) and I certainly think there can be rankings (Jazz is more complex than Blues for instance), but I only proposed a ranking of complexity because it was such an integral part of the choir of "Rap is simple" therefore "talentless" arguments. I would never dismiss Rap, Blues, Punk, Folk, etc. because it needed "more notes", instruments, etc. Others have and what's most baffling for me, is it's coming from Rock fans. Rock fans! Rock (where I do most of my listening) isn't great because it's complex. Hell a good lot of it isn't complex at all (guitar, bass, drums, three cords, etc.). People only a couple generations back of most of the members here would have laughed at the notion of fans of the emerging [comparatively simple and direct] Rock 'n Roll music would look down their noses at another form because it was "too simple". So I was perplexed. If "simplicity" is a benchmark to overcome, what the hell do they think of the music they listen to? All Rock was grouped (stereotyped) because all Rap was by some recently. Once again the poll as only as silly/stupid as what caused it. For complexity, is all Classical 10, Rap 1 and Rock 3? Of course not. Course complexity is a ridiculous reason to reject a whole music genre, but as I’ve said before, if you do dismiss Rap on that (as seemingly many here do), it’s only about twice as hard to do the same to Rock. So be careful.

Anyway, at least we found out the majority of members are not lactose intolerant.

Jul 21, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #41 of 50
Rock is an 8 for me. Simple? Look at the truly brilliant Prog Rock subgenre, with Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Marillion....some of that music contains massive classical overtones, and highly complex melodies. Even with more 'classic' rock, Rock songs probably have the best lyrics of any genre. It is in Rock that you get the truly brilliant concept albums, the 8 minute ballads that blow you away, the meaningful lyrics that leave you thinking. Look at the top 10 songs of all time, and you will see the majority will usually be rock songs (Stairway to Heaven, Bohemian Rhapsody, Free Bird, Wish You Were Here...). That says a lot.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girdag
Look at the top 10 songs of all time, and you will see the majority will usually be rock songs (Stairway to Heaven, Bohemian Rhapsody, Free Bird, Wish You Were Here...). That says a lot.

actually, that says absolutely nothing.

top 10 according to who? magazine polls? LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back