Rap Sucks
Jun 24, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #46 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
I agree that mainstream rap is extremely simple. Literally, all they do is throw a single drum beat in there and talk for a few minutes. ANYONE can do that.
rolleyes.gif

Thank you.

Jun 24, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #47 of 782
Let's face it, the mainstream is crap in every pop genre. But the good stuff is good.

Say, Snausages, is your handle an MST3K reference?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #50 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by snausages
Uhhhhh no, it's a dog food reference
smily_headphones1.gif

What's MST3K?

Mystery Science Theatre 3000. In one episode they were doing a dog's dialog and making a big deal about how everything it did was motivated by love of snausages. It is one of my favorite episodes.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #51 of 782
Jun 24, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #52 of 782
I enjoy music of all kinds, even rap!

I love the Beastie Boys! To me they are truly great artists, just like Frank Zappa's band. Huge repertoire, lots of different styles ( Oi, country, rap, hip hop, trip hop, rock, hard rock, punk rock you name it they have it!) musically and lyrically great too...

I also enjoy The Roots, Cypress Hill, Ice Cube and lots of french Hip Hop formations.

My guess is that some people decide they hate everything rap/hip hop because they find (with good reasons) Nelly annoying...

Jun 24, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #53 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Vincent
My guess is that some people decide they hate everything rap/hip hop because they find (with good reasons) Nelly annoying...

DIE NELLY, DIE F@#%ER!!!

Yes, I do. Admittedly most of the rap I've heard is mainstream sludge. There probably is some rap out there that I would like, though I just particulary don't like the genre (talking over beats...meh). It just doesn't do it for me. I still think I'd rather listen to rap than country though
tongue.gif

Just between you and me, Bring the Noise is a kickass song
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #54 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by snausages
Uhhhhh no, it's a dog food reference
smily_headphones1.gif

What's MST3K?

Hey, my dogs eat those!
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #56 of 782
I need to jump in here and ask a question.
I was forced into traveling a few miles in a van the other day. It was being driven by a young hispanic girl. She had the radio playing on a station I was unfamiliar with. Okay, I was trying to to tune out the rap style song I was hearing when I detected some classic rock. So just as I was getting focused in on the music it switched back to a rap style, then back to a classic rock song I was familiar with. Has anybody else heard that? What was that? I was thinking the driver was changing the stations, but it was too abrupt of a change for that.

Hey, I heard this mid 80's Chevy the other day, that was going by slowly. The guy has such a sub woofer that the outside of the car was vibrating to the point that you could hear the sheetmetal rattling. The car was all shined up with custom wheels and trying to look cool. It was so sad and funny that the outside rattled from the bass.

Jun 24, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #57 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
I can't remember where I had read that rap was the biggest recent step the evolution of music, but I personally tend to agree. What other "genre" of music has been so radically different from anything that came before it?

First of all, what does rap have to do with music? Secondly, your comment about rap in the context of evolution of music would be akin to saying that man regressing back into an ape would be a big step in his evolution. Rap music originated hundreds of years ago, only it was called squaredancing.

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
No thanks. I don't want my ears lambasted by flabby over extended mid-bass.

True. There is an awful midbass hump happening. The mixing is generally very poor. They should get Bob Clearmountain.

Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
I agree that mainstream rap is extremely simple. Literally, all they do is throw a single drum beat in there and talk for a few minutes. ANYONE can do that.
rolleyes.gif

Come on now. Not everyone can speak like a Grade 3 dropout.

But I agree. Drop the beat and you have the 6 o'clock news. Add a beat to the 6 o'clock news and you have mainstream rap.

OK, so I'm pulling everyone's leg, slightly. There is more bad rock and pop that there is bad rap, just because the volumes are higher. And bad rap does not have a big glossy production to hide behind, like so many pop stars. It's all exposed out there in the open. And you have to have lyrics and they will be focused on. It's a form of punk. It's about energy and attitude, not melody and chord progression. But I see enough misplaced energy and bad attitude on a daily basis without having it spill into my listening time. So to each their own.

Jun 24, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #59 of 782
i would agree that mainstream rap is pretty much worthless ... but just to re-iterate what others have said, check out the underground scene. what little hip-hop i listen to is more from that scene.
and if you don't think that it can be poetry, check out Sage Francis sometime. one of the best modern poets i've heard in a long time, just chooses to do it over a beat (and very often travels with a live band).

(and disturbed, while one of the lesser annoying popmetal bands, is not that musically complex either. check out the new king crimson for heavy "complex" music. disturbed is just as simple as rap quite frankly, just has sing-along chorus's)

Jun 24, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #60 of 782
Mr. Music Snob...It is totally uncool to diss someone else's music no matter what it is. My college roommate was a jazz drummer and I was into rock so you can guess the **** I got. What can I say? Coltrane sucks because I don't understand it or I can't relate? Another guy down the hall was a jazz guitarist and he came into my room one day and picked up my Les Paul just to prove his point that rock is simple therefore sucks by playing the entire Hemisphere (Rush) album from memory, and almost perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back