Rap Sucks
Jun 23, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #31 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
OMG!

Dude, Disturbed is NOT metal! It's Nu-Metal, which is an offshoot of RAP!!!
emotlol_2.gif

Awesome smiley, KR, it's exactly what I was doing when I read that, LOL!
biggrin.gif
That was great...."I listen to GOOD metal..." hahaha

Jun 23, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #32 of 782
Hi all, this is my first post. I've been hanging around these boards for quite a while now, filling my head with the ridiculous amount of knowledge you guys have about headphones, and thought now was a good time to jump in.

Metalhead666, who are you to judge? You listen to pop-metal (I saw your thread about the greatest metal groups).

Anyway, you can put me down as a white adult (30) that listens to rap (the last 80 or 90 albums I've purchased have been underground hip-hop.)

It's definitely true, as a previous poster said, that mainstream rap is the worst of the worst (not including The Roots, Jurassic 5, etc.) and unfortunately that's what most people’s opinions are based on.

Jun 23, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #33 of 782
i don't know much about rap, but i do have "rapper's delight" on vinyl, witha handful of beatie boys vinyl too. oh, and the bboys dvd set. i just like the rhymes and beats, they crack me up and i like to rap along when i'm in the shower.

scrypt,
i never thought about how different those other genres of music to day (bjork, etc.) would sound if we didn't have rap to thanks for sampling, scratching, and some of the other techniques they use. very good points.

Jun 23, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #34 of 782
Myself I can't stand rap etc. However if you like it thats fine. What I object to is being force fed the same dirge (imho) day in day out on the national (and local) stations.

Jun 23, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #35 of 782
There is definitely quality rap. Tribe Called Quest comes to mind.

As for mainstream rap (Jay-Z, 50 Cent...) I would never ever listen to that crap alone. The only time it's tolerable is at a party 'cause all the girlies love to dance to it. It can create a fun atmosphere.

Jun 23, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #36 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by waylman
Eminem will never be considered old school you putz.

waylman, Newbiez was making a joke. Take it easy.

Jun 23, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #37 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by MetalHead666
I don't know about you, but I know 0 white adults that listen to rap.

The funny thing is that "whites" make up the largest proportion of the market for rap music, by far, and "white adults" (whites 18 and over) make up a bigger market for rap than black adults.

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #38 of 782
I saw DJ Jazzy Jeff,

Man he's old school !!!!

he was just djing so I don't think he had any of his retro material, but Grand Master Flash was in town and I heard he was pretty decent still.
I guess he still has the FUNK!

I still like some old school like LL Cool J, with songs like Jack the Ripper, and Rock the bells.

280smile.gif

much less controversial, compared to like mainstream and underground hiphop

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #39 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Biggest step? Into what? Dog****?

I can't remember where I had read that rap was the biggest recent step the evolution of music, but I personally tend to agree. What other "genre" of music has been so radically different from anything that came before it? I think scyrpt has providing a very concise 'defense' of the merrits of rap - as per usual.
wink.gif
Thank you scrypt.

Which brings us to another point - when you discus rap you are discussing not only the rhyming/toasting aspects, but also as scypt mentioned, the turntablism skills which then brings us into the realms of sampling, electronic music and dance culture. I think you would have to be a pretty harsh critic not to respect some of the skills displayed by consumate turntablists. Get yourself down to a DMC turntable championship if you don't believe me
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #40 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
The funny thing is that "whites" make up the largest proportion of the market for rap music, by far, and "white adults" (whites 18 and over) make up a bigger market for rap than black adults.

That proves it's a sad sad world. I mean rap "music" is just so simplistic it's not funny.

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #41 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
That proves it's a sad sad world. I mean rap "music" is just so simplistic it's not funny.

No offence man, but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Go listen to "Fantastic Damage" by EL-P, "Labor Days" by Aesop Rock, "The Cold Vein" by Cannibal Ox, and this years best hip-hop album IMHO "Selling Live Water" by Sole, and then tell me this music is even remotely simple.

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #42 of 782
Hey come on guys, ease up. All im trying to say is that i hate rap because it has no music to it, but once again, i've never heard underground rap.

Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
OMG!

Dude, Disturbed is NOT metal! It's Nu-Metal, which is an offshoot of RAP!!!
emotlol_2.gif

I don't mind if it's an offshoot of rap. I never said that. I like Distubed because of their music, rap doesnt have that. I don't mind groups like (hed)pe. He doesn't sing but his group plays music, and it sounds good.

Jun 24, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #43 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by snausages
No offence man, but you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Go listen to "Fantastic Damage" by EL-P, "Labor Days" by Aesop Rock, "The Cold Vein" by Cannibal Ox, and this years best hip-hop album IMHO "Selling Live Water" by Sole, and then tell me this music is even remotely simple.

No thanks. I don't want my ears lambasted by flabby over extended mid-bass.

Jun 24, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #44 of 782
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
No thanks. I don't want my ears lambasted by flabby over extended mid-bass.

LOL

Sorry dude, I should of never questioned you... you've got it all down pat baby.

Jun 24, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #45 of 782
I agree that mainstream rap is extremely simple. Literally, all they do is throw a single drum beat in there and talk for a few minutes. ANYONE can do that.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back